Date Night On A School Night

(Above is what Olive is wearing, except the sunglasses).

 Adam POV:

"Hey look at this." Mira leaned over to me and showed me a video she had pulled up on her phone. It looked like a dance video from the studio Olive goes to; I grabbed one of the earbuds Mira handed me and put it in my ear and then clicked play on the video.

(Here's the video they're watching):

Olive is the person dancing right now and he looks amazing. He's wearing some loose grey sweatpants and a white tank top and Nike sneakers, he still has the headband on though.

His part only lasts a couple of minutes and then moves onto another person. Mira and I watch a bit farther into the video and then she pauses the video and pulls out her earbud. I pull out mine too and immediately hear her exclaim, "You are the luckiest guy in the world!" I blushed a bit when I heard this and smiled a little too since I knew it was true.

I started thinking about how great Olive is, Mira was watching a cat compilation now so she wouldn't notice if I spaced off, and I started to feel all gooey inside. Olive's such a cutie, I can't believe he's with me. I am the luckiest guy in the world. Unfortunately, my train of thought was interrupted when Jake, the school quarterback, yelled, "Hey Olive you gonna dance for us?"

I turned around in my seat to look at Olive who had just entered the class (he texted me earlier and said that he was going to be late because of a dentist appointment and he probably checked into the office). Olive covered his face with his hand and waved to Jake, who just stared at Olive's butt, and then hurried over to his seat next to Mira.

I leaned forward a bit so I could get a look at him; his cheeks looked a little darker and he kept pulling his hat down really far. Mira must have noticed too because she asked, "You okay Olive?"

Olive turned to look at Mira and ran a hand through his hair then said in a nervous voice, "Yeah I'm fine. Just, you know, Jake and them." Olive then started fidgeting with one of his pencils and anxiously bouncing one of his legs. I've known Olive for a while so I can tell when he's anxious or upset and this is definitely it; Mira may not know Olive as well as me but she's a really good people reader and could probably tell that Olive is upset. Mira shared a glance with me just to make sure that I noticed Olive's anxiousness.

Mira gently put a hand on Olive's shoulder and asked, "You sure? You can tell us if something's wrong." Olive glanced at Mira and me for a few seconds, like he was about to tell us something, but then shook his head and repeated that he's fine. Mira and I still didn't believe him but we didn't want to push him, so we left him alone.

Once the bell rang, a few more kids started piling in and the teacher walked to the front of the classroom and asked for everyone's attention. All of us looked up at him and out of the corner of my eye, I looked at Olive, wanting to make sure that he's okay. He's looking up at the teacher as he tells about the small assignment we're going to do today but his eyes are kind of glassed over like he's spacing out and he has his sad face on.

I'll try to talk to him after class. Luckily this is third period, so after this, we'll have lunch and I'll be able to talk to Olive a bit more freely than in here. I started pulling out my pencil and an eraser and grabbed one of the papers I needed from Mr. Monty as he walked by.

Mira and Olive each grabbed one too and we all began working on the assignment quietly; it was a pretty easy assignment, since we're in ELA and starting literature circles we're supposed to fill out a paper about what books we like and stuff like that.