Together At Last

Mira POV:

Kai and I were waiting at Adam's house for him to get back from his big confession. Neither of his parents were home, so we just had to sit on the little porch and listen to Puddles bark at us from the backyard.

Kai glanced over at the gate to the backyard and then at me and asked, "Do you think we could go in through the back door?" He's been wanting to go inside for a while now, despite me reminding him that we'd have to wait for Adam. I think he's just nervous from school and wants to relax. Or he just really hates being outside. Could honestly be both.

I sighed and said, "Kai, you'll just have to wait. Adam's probably going to be back in a bit." I actually had no idea how long it would take Adam to get back. I tried texting right after we got here but he never responded. I checked my screen one more time, wondering if Adam had finally decided to text me back, and luckily saw a message from him.

I clicked on it and then scanned it over. It basically said that him and Olive both like each other and that they're going to be here in a few minutes. I squealed a bit when I saw the part about Olive liking Adam and Kai heard me and came over to see what I was squealing about.

I held out my phone a bit for him to see and he squealed a bit too. We both took a moment to squeal for a bit, out of happiness for Adam and for the fact that we'd be able to get out of the chilly fall air. Kai jumped up and down a few times and then asked, "So are they boyfriends now or what?"

I scan over the text again to see if we missed anything but unfortunately it didn't say anything about Adam and Olive being boyfriends. Figures, Adam's always been pretty shy about romance. "No, the text doesn't say anything." Kai looked a little downcast, maybe he was hoping to gossip, but then started jumping up and down when he looked down the street.

Curious, I looked down the street too and saw Adam and Olive walking down here together. I jumped up from the porch and dusted myself off and ran down the walkway a bit. Kai followed me and we both bounced up and down as we waited for them to get here.

They didn't seem to see us yet and kept bumping their shoulders against each other and Olive, who had his arm around Adam's back, slid it down to his waist. Maybe we could spook them and embarrass them. No that would be rude.

Finally after taking forever to walk over here, they turned onto Adam's lawn and finally spotted Kai and me. Olive's arm shot up from Adam's waist back up to his upper back and Adam blushed all the way to his roots.

Kai giggled a bit and then asked, "So you two have a good time at the park?" It was a thinly veiled tease and Adam just turned redder while Olive squeaked a little and looked away. Kai and I both giggled a bit and started probing them with questions.

We asked them if they kissed, if they're boyfriends and a few other embarrassing questions like that. Adam answered most of them since Olive was almost too embarrassed to say anything. We kept pestering them for a few more minutes but stopped after Adam asked us if we wanted to go inside.

Kai and I both said sure and Adam grabbed his key out of his backpack and led us all inside. When we got inside we all took off our shoes since it's one of the rules here. After that we all kind of stood at the door awkwardly for a bit.

Kai finally broke the silence when he asked, "So you want to go talk in the living room?" Everyone silently agreed and then shifted over to the living room, all of us very glad of the distraction from the awkwardness. When we got to the living room we all took off our backpacks and set them and our trapper keepers next to the couches we chose to sit on.

Adam and Olive, obviously, sat next to each with their hands still entwined while Kai and me sat on the couch next to them. I looked around the room as I tried to figure out something to say; I couldn't really come up with anything since Kai and I had already asked all the questions we could think of and had all the info we wanted.

Luckily Olive broke the silence when he asked, "You want to play 'Never Have I Ever'?" Kai, Adam and me shared a glance and then all nodded in agreement. Olive untwined his hand from Adam's and then said quietly, "So to play we could put down one finger for every thing that's true and we'll start with ten fingers." We all nodded and scooted closer to each other and then each held out ten fingers and waited for someone to go first.

After a couple minutes of silence, Adam cleared his throat and said, "Um, I guess I'll go first." He took a minute to think of something and then said, "Never have I ever.. Stayed out past curfew." Easy one. All of us put down one finger, since we're all rule followers, and Kai went next.

"Never have I ever talked back to my parents." Again all of us put down one finger. We're really a bunch of goody-two shoes. I guess it was my turn now and I said, "Never have I ever skipped school." All of us except for Kai put a finger down.

Adam and I both looked at him incredulously; Kai did have a big mouth sometimes but we're both pretty sure it's just hot air. Kai sheepishly looked away and admitted, "I didn't feel too good that morning."

Adam and I both rolled our eyes at Kai's excuse and then we turned to Olive since it was his turn. He nervously looked down at his shoes and took a minute to think. After he thought of something he said, "Never have I ever played a video game." Kai, Adam and me all put a finger down mainly because we play video games over at Kai's house sometimes and since The Hollow technically counts as a video game.

Dirty move. I saw Adam shove Olive a bit and give him a fake dirty look; Olive didn't mind though, he just laughed and leaned against Adam's shoulder. Kai and I both giggled as we watched this happen, which embarrassed them and made them jump apart a bit. Kai and I giggled again and we continued the game.

Time-skip (20 minutes):

The game itself was pretty fun and revealed some interesting truths. Adam, Olive and Kai have never kissed anyone before (I once gave a mistletoe kiss to a friend of mine in third grade), Kai used to have a crush on Brad Pitt, both Adam and Olive crushed on the Rock and several other fun things that made all of us turn bright red.

A few minutes after we'd finished, Adam's parents got home and asked us how our days went. We all answered and almost started our conversation, about Eric Durnham streaking earlier today at school, but then Adam's mom noticed Adam and Olive holding hands. She started squealing and pointing it out to Adam's dad and then ran up to Adam and Olive and started badgering them about whether they're together and stuff like that.

Adam and Olive both got really embarrassed and answered Adam's mom's questions while Adam's dad stood next to the door and laughed. Kai and I both started laughing a little too, especially when Adam's mom asked Adam and Olive if they kissed yet and Adam turned bright red and Olive squeaked.

I love my friends.