21| Gear Up

『ARC TWO: CAREFUL STEPS』

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

The chime of the bell bounced off the walls of the hallways and classrooms one fine afternoon. This was followed by the click of the lock of the classroom door when it closed shut. Heavy footfalls trailed until they were positioned behind the wooden podium in front of the class. Propping his elbows on the podium, Kohei tilted his head and grinned. "Alright! Time for Heroics!"

Tanami shifted in her seat, hands cupped in her lap. She awkwardly sent a longing glance at the seat beside her. She tore her gaze away from the empty seat and settled her eyes on the long desk in front of the podium. A total of five backpacks were atop of the surface along with a black belt and a few other random items.

Raising a hand in the air listlessly, Yoshimi stifled the yawn threatening to escape his mouth. "Kohei-san, are you finally going to tell us why you switched morning and afternoon classes?"

"Yes, yes," Kohei shifted his stance and laced his fingers together. His eyes lingered on the nine kids before his smile morphed into one of sheepishness. Beads of sweat began to form on Tanami's hands from the expression Kohei was displaying. "I was in the staff room and long story short, I made a bet with Impression."

Impression? The breath escaped her lips. Her body's muscles instantly grew taut and her fingers gripped the fabric of her crimson skirt.

The timer halted, stopping at two minutes and fourteen seconds.

Not too long after did Tanami and Yoshimi gain their sight and hearing back.

Blinking, Tanami felt the tension leave her shoulders as everything became clearer once more. Impression's blue eyes and dark hair stood out against his tan complexion. The girl tilted her head and drew her eyebrows together in confusion.

"Why didn't you try to stop us?"

The Hero's answer sent a chill running down her spine for some odd reason. "The principal said to not bring harm to team thirty-one."

Now that she thinks about it, did Tomohiro ever give her a reply back? It has been a while since she brought it up. It was always in the back of her mind and yet she never said it again. Why? Anytime Impression was around the area, she would go in the opposite direction or flat out ignore the Hero. He made her feel uneasy because of those words spoken so long ago.

"And what was it?"

Junpei's curiosity-filled voice broke Tanami out of her trance. Picking her head up, she realized that she was still in class. Swallowing the saliva building up in her throat, the girl tried her best to rid herself of thoughts that did not need to be dwelled on at the moment. She's in Heroics and she can talk with Tomohiro later. Class comes first after all.