48| White Carnations

『ARC FIVE: NULL AND VOID』

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

Time was a fickle thing, and one could not grasp the whims of time and force it into a perfect halt. It would stop for a second or two, but it never stopped ticking. A clock may break, but the hand never stopped moving clockwise. You were the one who could no longer tell what time it was.

And that simple fact was widely known. You have made a mistake that cannot be erased and hoped the hand will start moving counterclockwise, but it does not. It kept running its course, and you're faced with succumbing to the karma that has fallen upon you. No matter what you do, it will always move forward somehow. But it would do no one any good if time were to falter.

Staying stagnant in eternity is not an ideal situation. It was better to live with transience. Although something may happen at the moment, you can always be assured that the memory will live forever in your consciousness.

But that notion did not stop Tanami from wishing it halted completely. Some part of her even wished time sent her back before she had gotten into an argument with her brother. If she could change her reaction, maybe she, Yua, and Shimada would not be stuck in this situation. She did not like how gold eyes stared at her like nothing but a tool.

She wanted to go home. However, right now, she had to keep herself standing. What good would a future Hero be if she cried all the time?

Beside her, the crystal could feel the way the fabric of her sweater was yanked at by Yua's fingers digging into the cloth. Magenta curls tumbled onto the female's face, covering her sight for mere moments before raising her head. "You think we're going to let you use Tanami for her Quirk?!"

"You're not going to get your way, you know! The Heroes are going to come and save us!" Shimada added as he glared fiercely at the man.

"Oh, do you really think they are coming for you?" Namiko's voice was filled with surprise. "It's been three weeks. Don't you think they should have come for you by now? Or even sooner? Perhaps they have given up."

"Don't you dare go around spreading lies," Yua snarled. "Metallic and Mizu wouldn't turn a blind eye to this!"

He chuckled, amused at the girl's response. His lips curled into a smile. "Who knows? Why would such a low-ranking school waste its resources? They can barely get seventy-seven students."

"Seventy-seven is the number of students admitted! Plus, do you really think our parents wouldn't cause an uproar from our disappearances?!" The olive-haired boy explained, clenching his fingers into a tight fist.

"Madam Psyche clearly doesn't care."

Yua's nails dug into Tanami's sweater. "Like I give a shit about a mother who doesn't give a fuck about me."