42| Paper Cranes

『ARC FOUR: A BUTTERFLY'S DEDUCTION』

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

It did not take much thought for Junpei to realize that he loathed Junri's Quirk.

It was natural that he would not like it. Just because he was created with it, a product of said Quirk with a catalyst, that did not mean he was going to like it. Not to mention the tinkering that could be done on a subconscious level. Who would like it when someone changed their perception of the real world? Especially when they did not even know that it happened in the first place?

But the moment his butterfly touched the paper crane that materialized out of thin air, it was entirely different than just tugging at the strings in a consciousness.

Various whispers, of tones high and low, instantly overwhelmed him. The voices echoed in his head, vibrating against his skull with those slow and dragged-out words. He could not pinpoint the exact words that were spoken because there were too many talking for him to even try and dissect what they were saying. It was just too much to process and he could not process it all. Well, how could he? He looked like a four-year-old and he was technically only twenty days old. Not to mention he has not even figured out how to use his Quirk all the way.

His small fingers threaded through his locks and dug his fingernails into his scalp. Although the action was painful, the child did not even register the feeling of pain enveloping his head. The only good thing was that his nails were not long enough to pierce through his skin or else droplets of blood would have seeped through.

Distorted images flashed across his vision. Some resembled the appearance of humans with skewed perceptions while others were just wisps of black mist that wished to look normal. A few would reach forward, fingers almost brushing against Junpei's cheeks before being harshly pulled away by an unknown force. Their images flickered, misshaping and tilting their heads upward to release a cacophony of ear-splitting screeches.

In an instant, the child pulled his hands away from his head and cupped them over his ears in an attempt to shield his eardrums. He screwed his eyes shut to keep himself from witnessing the images any longer. His stomach churned when he saw the shifting of lights and shadows dancing through his eyelids. He could still hear them screeching. He could still see them fluttering about in his eyesight.

He should not have done that. He should have made his butterfly disappear instead of trying to dissect and deduct something of the unknown even further. He needed to be careful and look at what he had done. He threw away his short and fragile lifespan for a piece of knowledge that should have been left alone. Unseen by prying eyes and unheard of by yielding ears. He should have left Euthymia's Sentience alone.

Then, Junpei felt it. It was small and almost insignificant but he could still feel it. A small tug at the string of his consciousness before it was released. The thread snapped back into place, mending itself along with the other to create the newly formed perception that was given to him. Dissipating like ripples across a puddle, the images that ran rampant and the whispers that assaulted him slowed into a steady halt. The child kept himself in a feeble position, ears and eyes still covered in fear that those things only died down because it was the only way they could get him to move.