(83)

The grill was on, the aroma of hot sizzling meat wafted across the back garden while dad flipped patties and mom sat next to me on the deck chairs.

Our old colonial home had recently been given a fresh coat of paint, the deck re stained and the windows tinted. It was private for the most part, fully fenced, but the windows remained darkened for peace of mind.

Mom and dad moved into this house the same day they found out they were pregnant with me, as traumatic as that had been. Mom didn't know how to feel about the little cross I kept in the kitchen in honour of the twin sister I lost when she miscarried.

As horrific as it had been for dad, he found it amusing. I mean, the kitchen is where it happened and I figured my twin deserved a memorial, even if she'd been lost before mom and dad knew about her.

"You little fucker," dad shouted so suddenly that I startled, mom didn't even flinch. "I'm gonna knock the little bastard into next week if I see him again."

"Who are you talking to?" I gaped.

"He's talking to the squirrel," mom sighed.

"Excuse me?"

"Little ball brain keeps stealing food straight off the table. Bold little shit."

"He and your father have been beefing for the last few months," mom sat up and sheltered her gaze from the sun, searching the backyard. There were a lot of trees and I assumed he'd scurried up one of them.

"You're not really going to hurt him, right?" I asked.

"I'm gonna kick him so hard he lands in Darrell's pool," he muttered. Darrell lived about eight houses down.

"He's not," mom said. "The squirrel has been on the deck within reaching distance several times, he's brave. Your father hasn't done a thing about it. Too soft."

"Shut up, woman," he mumbled and slid his cap backwards.

"What was that?" Mom stood up, pulling her freshly highlighted blonde hair into a bun.

"Nothing, nothing," dad held up his arms in defence. "Fuck, nothing. I said, I love you baby."

"Mhmm," mom grinned at me and walked inside. Dad watched her the entire time, staring at her bum like a sixteen year old boy.

And then he looked at me and his demeanour softened, his smile was reminiscent.

"What, dad?"

"I just like having you home."

To be honest, I liked being home. I'd arrived three days ago and we'd spent a lot of time together. We went out to eat, we hung out at home, swimming or doing board games. Dad took me out on the bike and mom and I went shopping.

It'd been simple but pleasant and quiet. The paps didn't bother mom and dad here like they did in California or New York. Sure, there were the occasional ones but nothing we weren't able to avoid.

"Your room can be renovated if you want to move in," he said, winking when I gave him a warning look. "No pressure. Just thought I'd mention it."

Lucas came through the back gate then, a tank top exposed his ink, which he had more of than skin at this point. He pointed at me, grinning.

"So she's back."

"She's visiting," I said and stood up to give him a hug.

"You're back," he said and slapped me hard enough on the shoulder that I winced.

"Settle the fuck down hulk," I said, rolling my shoulder. "I'm not back. I'm visiting."

"I'll put money on it," he slid his hands into his pockets, he and dad towered over me. "You were always gonna end up back in Texas. Bet. You won't leave."