(35)

The following afternoon, the whole crew was gathered in the apartment living room. Mom and Dad included.

Apparently they decided to fly in for Sunday afternoon tea and have an impromptu games night. My apartment felt smaller than usual while we all sat on the floor around a monopoly board.

"How the fuck?" Lucas shouted, leaning against the couch with Mills between his legs. "How the fuck does Mom own most of the board on her first trip around. We all started with the same amount of cash."

Mom, who had her head in Dad's lap while he played with her hair and moved her piece for her, waved her hand in dismissal. "I'm just talented and good with money."

"You're a cheat," Abby said. Flynn was on his stomach beside her.

Everyone was cosy in comfortable clothes and slippers. Not to mention coupled up. It was times like this when the pain was strong. I missed Kyla. "Just admit you took more money during the initial dealing."

"Don't accuse your mother of theft," Dad said, slipping his hand under the rim of his backwards cap and scratching his head. "She gave birth to you. I was there. It was traumatic. Show her some respect."

Abby rubbed her face. "That can't be your go to argument whenever something involves me and Mom."

"It can," Dad said. "You know why?"

"Dad, no—"

"Because you came out of my nut sack. I never half ass a task and that included knocking up your mother. Effort was made. It was tiring but fantastic. We both made a contribution to your existence- your mother more so - but me to. Therefore, we have arguing rights and that's that."

Abby had her fingers in her ears. Flynn was staring at the board as if he was calculating his next move. Milly and Lucas looked unfazed and Mom was giggling.

"Max, roll," Abby passed me the dice.

I took my turn and decided to buy the property. But Mom told Dad to go through her cards and it turned out, she owned the property. "Cough it up," she held her palm out. "You're lucky I hadn't put an apartment on it. Phew that's a lot of cash."

I gaped at her pile of cash when she dropped my two grand on top of it. "Mom. You have so much cash. What the hell?"

"She's cheating!" Abby snapped. "She does this every time."

"I do not," she defended, sitting up. Her hair was standing up all over the place from Dad running his fingers through it. "I'm just business savvy."

"Mom," Lucas waved at the board. "You own so many properties and hardly anyone has landed on them to pay you. But somehow you have a huge cash pile. You're so full of it."

"Ha!" Abby shouted, holding up the property cards. "She didn't even have the property that Max just landed on. It's still in the pile."

"That means Dad is helping her," I pointed an accusatory finger at him and in return he gave me the middle one.

Mom had her hands over her face, her shoulders shook and she silently laughed aside from the occasional snort.

"Dad never helps her cheat," Lucas glared. "What's in it for him."

"Luc—"