(25)

Some how, Milly and I ended up having a round of pool in the rec room. I'm not sure how we ended up here. There's a vague recollection of tip toeing through the front door and now we're doing a terrible job of sinking the pool balls. 

"Do you remember," Milly said, snorting and laughing through her words. "Do you remember last year. When we were having a game of pool and Shane threw his arms up so hard—" she demonstrated an enthusiastic fist pump. "And he stuck the pool cue through the ceiling?"

The image of dumb fuck Shane, standing in middle of the rec room with debris on his head and shoulders and a pool cue dangling from the ceiling was so unexpected but fucking hilarious and I lost it.

"Dad threatened to stab him with it."

Milly nodded with tears welling in her sockets. It was a good thing the rec room was sound proof with the door shut. We couldn't be quiet if we tried.

I stumbled over to the cooler I'd filled with ice and beer and snatched one out before flicking its cap off.

Mills was still giggling as she leaned over the table and lined up her shot.

Her dark blue playsuit pulled against her legs and ass. If she took that shot, she was going to miss. She wasn't even lined up with the white ball. So drunk.

Not that I could talk.

Khalid sounded from the stereo in the corner of the room and I put the bottle of beer down on the kitchenette sink, walking over to Mills.

"You're so off," I said. "Does your cue curve at the end or something? What are you even aiming at?"

She let her head drop onto the green felt table top and giggled. "Sod off." She lifted her head and shook the curls from her face. "It's not my fault the ball wont stop moving."

"You're fucked lady."

"Can we give up?" She straightened up but I stood behind her and wrapped around her frame so I could hold the cue with her.

She didn't argue or resist as my fingers covered hers and she let me guide her into position.

Her entire back was flush against my front but I tried not to think about it.

We lined it up and I felt her red hair tickling my cheek as I whispered, "go."

We pushed the cue and it skimmed the ball so it moved about an inch to the right. Fail.

Milly burst into an uncontrollable laughter which caused her to reverberate against my front. It made no fucking sense. How did I miss that? Fuck, must have been more pissed than I thought.

"You twat," she turned around and shoved me in the chest. "What are you even aiming at?" She mocked what I'd said earlier with that British accent licking at her slurred words.

"Yeah alright," I dropped the cue on the floor and fell into the couch.

I missed of course and landed in a heap on the ground instead.

Ignoring the fact I was being laughed at, I crawled to the other end of the sofa and snatched a beer from the cooler.

For some reason I thought I had one opened already, but who knows where the fuck that went.

After I struggled with the cap for a while, it popped off and I lifted the bottle.

A drizzle hit my lips but the rest of it ran down the front of my throat and shirt and then the beer was gone from my hand and I was struggling to keep up with the series of events.