(4)

"Did you little shits throw a party in my house?!"

Abby, Max and I exchanged cautionary glances. Dad was waiting in the foyer as soon as we stepped inside and he looked pissed. Flynn beelined straight for the rec room. 

"Hey how's it going, Flynn?" Dad said.

Flynn nodded but kept walking. "Good thanks, Mr Lahey."

The three of us dropped our back packs beside the door but kept quiet when our father's furious glare was on us once again. He crossed the hardwood floor of the foyer and stopped with his arms folded. "Well?"

Nothing but silence followed. We'd gone over this. We promised each other we wouldn't fold. There was no chance he was going to get a confession because sibling solidarity ensured we would all go down together.

"How did you know?"

Max and Abby groaned, their shoulders slumped and they stared at me with distaste. It was clear the two of them were disappointed that I had fessed up. But I wanted to know how the hell he found out.

"I didn't know. Now I do," dad shook his head and laughed. "Too easy, Luc. Too easy."

He wandered off towards the kitchen, still chuckling to himself. We all  followed him. He pulled open the fridge and peered over his shoulder at me. "Do it again and we'll be squaring up. Got it?"

I tugged at my tie and pulled it off. "Why the hell is it aimed at me? These two were there as well."

"I was in my room," Abby chirped as she skipped towards Dad and gave him a hug, settling into his side. She's such a fucking princess.

Never mind the fact that she was in her room because I found her pissed as hell and had to lock her in there so no one could take advantage of her.

"I'm aiming the warning at you," Dad said. "Because I bet it was your idea. Bet. I'll bet a hundred bucks right now."

"What are we, fucking ten? I'm not betting cash on something you can't prove."

"It was his idea," Max and Abby spoke in unison.

I stared at them in disgust. The traitors. Max gave me an apologetic shrug and sat down at the breakfast bar with a cold water. 

Abby seemed to be at war with herself before she sighed. "But we did help him get the word out. So I suppose he's not all to blame."

"Cough it up," Dad held his palm out.

I pulled my school shirt off and scoffed. "I didn't agree to shit. Check it out."

He came around the island to inspect the arm I was extending. He took a closer look at the fresh tattoo and nodded with approval. "That shading is perfect. Was it Tyler?"

I shook my head. "Pete this time. He said hi."

Max as usual was hunched over the island on his phone. He and I were the same in physical aspects. We had the same sun kissed skin and mouse brown hair. I was a hint more built in the muscle department but that was for the sheer fact that I worked out a hell of a lot more than he did. He was still sporting a decent six pack and shoulder definition. But in all other areas, we were opposites. He was quieter. More reserved. He'd always been a commitment sort of person and according to Mom, I inherited Dad's lack of social etiquette.

Dad dropped his hand on to Max's shoulder as he walked past him. "Your turn for a tat next?"

Max chuckled but didn't look up. "Mhmm sure."

"I want one," Abby said while she fixed herself a herbal tea. Gross. "I want an arrow inside my wrist. Or a cute little owl."

"Generic," I scoffed. "Get a new idea."