(3)

Tanner was strolling towards a gloss black pick up in the parking lot. It was slammed, sitting close to the ground on a decent set of rims. It was a nice truck but I wouldn't tell him that.

"Tanner," I called out. He turned around with furrowed brows as he loosened his school tie and lifted it over his head. "Wait up."

Flynn walked beside me and we picked up the pace, approaching Tanner as he opened his passenger door and ditched his bag and tie. He turned around and leaned against the car. "Yeah?"

"I'm Lucas," I said and then gestured at Flynn who did what I brought him along for. Stood beside me with his arms folded so that his massive ass biceps were loud and clear. "That's Flynn."

"Yeah, I know," he slowly nodded. "What's up?"

"You're new so we thought we'd introduce ourselves. Do you know the other new girl that started, Amalia?"

"Uh no, I don't know her."

"Good," I said. "Keep it that way."

"What?"

"What?" I laughed. "Do you know anyone else who goes here?"

"I've met a couple of people," he said, watching us with a narrow glare. "The people here are cool."

"Yeah, let me know if there's any one you're interested in, the girls around here keen, heard a couple of them talking about the new dude."

He scoffed. "That's your angle then?"

"Excuse me?" I said. 

"To steer me clear of your sister," he said. "She told me you'd give it a go. Apparently no one can go near her. The thing is, I don't give a shit. Threaten me. Fight me. It doesn't matter. I'll do what I want, with who I want. And that happens to be her."

I was about to step forward and show him I wasn't kidding. But Flynn appeared in front of me, bowling Tanner up against the car with his shirt in his fists. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

Tanner swallowed, struggling against my friend. "Don't stress. I'm not an asshole. I like her."

"Yeah because it sure sounded respectful with the way you worded it," I snapped. "I'm fluent in 'piece of shit'"

"She mentioned you're a giant hypocrite," he grunted when Flynn pulled him up and gave him another shove against the car. "She can't get a date but you're allowed to fuck whoever you want."

"My sister has a big heart and I'm not—"

I was cut off when I heard coach shouting from somewhere in the near distance. If I got into trouble for fighting again, I'd be kicked off the team. It was my last strike. So we stepped back and Tanner gripped the bottom of his shirt, pulling it down while he glared at us.

"Don't touch her," Flynn warned and we both turned around, crossing the lot before coach could catch up with us.

As we walked, I stared up at Flynn with furrowed brows. He never stepped in. He never became violent and I wondered what he was thinking as he stared with a distant gaze. I'd suspected he had feelings for my sister once before. But he assured me he saw her as a sister and nothing more. In truth, he wouldn't be the worst person for her to end up with. But she didn't see him like that. She was always drooling over morons.

"Finally," Abby said when we approached the car. I ruffled her hair and rounded the Rover to the driver's side where Max was waiting.