(50)

Amalia and I walked hand in hand along the beach behind our hotel. The warm soft sand between our toes, the sound of the waves, the chatter of people embracing the sunshine was enough to feel content.

But seeing Amalia under the morning glow was magnificent.

Her skin was illuminated. Her cheeks reflecting soft beams of light. Her freckles were even more prominent and I looked down at her as she angled her face towards the sun and smiled.

And then I looked down at our hands and my heart sped up at how well hers fit in mine. I loved the feeling of our laced fingers.

"What time will you go back to your sister's?" She asked scratching the tip of her nose with her black fingernail.

"Around lunchtime again, I suppose. I'll take something with me."

She nodded and gripped the hem of her skirt when a soft breeze blew it up.

The fabric was thin. It was a blue and white floral pattern with thin straps and a low cut neckline. She was in her element here.

I could tell she loved the beach. She couldn't stop smiling. Even subtle smiles. Ones that lifted the corners of her full soft lips but didn't bare her dimples or teeth.

I loved all versions of her smile.

I wanted to invite her to come with me to see Abby. But I felt like there would be less chance of Abby opening up if it wasn't just us.

There was still more I wanted to know about her condition. Who was the therapist she was seeing? Was she still working? Had she considered rehab?

I needed more answers and I needed her to feel comfortable enough to answer them.

"What should we do with our morning?" I asked, checking my cellphone with my free hand for the time.

It was only eight forty five. We'd had breakfast in the hotel restaurant this time. Sweet of course. I added some bacon strips to my waffles though.

"We should rent some skates and go skating down the strand."

I raised my brows. "Oh."

She pursed her lips and her gaze looked on with amusement twinkling in her dark brown eyes. "There are a couple of rental stores up there. For beach gear and bikes. We should skate. It'll be fun."

I looked over towards the Pier where dozens of tourists and locals were gathered admiring the view of the ocean or casting a line into the water.

Beyond that was The Strand. A walkway with small local owned stores, eateries and boutiques. People were pushing strollers or riding bikes.

We wouldn't be the only ones doing something active but I still hesitated for a moment.

"We don't have to," Amalia squeezed my hand when I didn't answer her straight away.

But I knew she wanted to. So I pushed my small bout of anxiety down and nodded. "We can do that."

"You sure?"

"Mhmm," I smiled and we started up the beach towards The Strand.

It wasn't something I would usually do. I didn't like to draw too much attention but Amalia was right. It might be fun.

We went to a little shack that advertised equipment for hire. We hadn't left the hotel with shoes so that saved us from handing those over to the girl who was working the shack. She took down our details and Amalia paid for skates before I could stop her.