Daria learns new words

"Here we are," Nathan's mom announced, stopping the car at the other end of the Caldecott tunnel. "Phone me from the camp phone when you reach there, okay?"

"Okay," Nathan grumbled as they got out of the car. Daria took a deep breath of fresh air. She knew it was silly, but the area smelled like home.

"Jason!" Clara snapped, breaking Daria out of her reverie. "It's my arm that's gone, not my legs. Stop treating me like a baby!" It even sounded like home.

"Fine!" Jason snapped back. "I was trying to be nice!"

"Well, stop it!"

Mrs. Vargas shook her head, but she didn't seem inclined to stop their bickering. She was smart; maybe she had realized that once Clara and Jason got started, they wouldn't stop for a while.

"Thank you for the ride," Daria said solemnly. "I'll make sure Nathan calls you."

Nathan turned to her, raising an eyebrow. "Thanks, mom."

"Shut up, Nathan."

Mrs. Vargas's lip twitched upwards. "I don't envy whoever has to take care of you all."

"No one takes care of us!" Nathan said adamantly. Then, he quickly wrapped his arms around his mom, muttering lowly so that no one could hear him. Well, unless you had grown up with Lupa. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweet boy." She rested her head on his for a moment. Daria had always been content without a father, with Leila, with Nani. But sometimes, she wished....

"You all be safe now," Nathan's mom looked Daria in the eyes. Her curly brown hair fell lightly on her face. "Take care of each other, understand?"

Daria looked back at Clara and Jason, who were still snapping at each other, probably about something that neither cared much about. "That's what we do."

They crossed the Tiber with ease, but as soon as they were within camp borders, Daria found it harder to breathe.

She didn't want to leave their group alone, but logically, she knew she should find either Leila or Daniel. Daria wondered if they would be mad if she sent a messenger in her place.

They reached the Via Praetoria after hearing the muttering of their fellow legionnaires. She knew they were whispering about Clara; she knew Clara, who was behind her alongside Jason, was trying to escape from their view.

"Daria!" Sofia called, walking towards them. Her light hair was matted with sweat on her forehead, so she must have been training.

Daria was glad to see a friendly face. The staunch demeanor she'd been wearing disappeared. "How was the quest?"

Daria didn't really know how to answer that. "Well," she settled on. "We're all alive." Unlike last time.

Sofia cocked her head. "Yeah, that's good."

"Don't sound too impressed or anything," Nathan muttered.

Sofia's eyes turned to Clara. She was, after all, the centurion of Clara's cohort. Upon seeing her arm, she sucked in a breath. "What happened to you, Clara?"

Jason stepped forward with a scowl, but Sofia placed a hand on his arm to stop him. "Calm down."

"She's not insulting me," Clara's voice was still quiet. Daria hated it. She hated the way that the younger girl stood like she had done something wrong. The grass around them felt duller, all of a sudden. "Monster attack. I got overwhelmed."