Oh, Jason hates Daniel so much

Jason found out Leila died half an hour ago; unfortunately, there was no time to grieve.

Jason met with the young Senators in their makeshift War Room – a tent that was much more barren than the Senate Room, but Jason didn't want to stray too far from the rest of their camp. As yesterday proved, things never went to plan.

He looked at Daniel, now the sole praetor of the legion; Daria was to his right (keeping her distance) and Reyna to his left. It was nice of Atticus, to stand his army down when it got dark, very Roman of him.

"Look," Jason said when someone asked him a question he wasn't really listening to. "I want this war to be over tomorrow at the very latest. We've already had 10 casualties."

"Too many," Daria murmured. She was tense beside him, didn't want to be talked to, which he got because Leila. And in all honesty, Jason wasn't planning on talking to her after that morning. You know, when he'd had his heart broken.

Daria straightened, as if remembering something. "Daniel and I have an idea."

Mitch looked between the two of them with pursed lips. "Since you haven't told any of us, I assume we're not going to like it." The blond's voice was unnaturally cold; Jason wondered if Daria had done something or this was just his way of grieving.

"Do you ever like anything?" Daniel muttered. Jason and Reyna shared a look.

Daria ignored them. "Daniel and I will invade their camp, demolish half their army. Maybe it'll be an even fight after that. Either way, Daniel has his magic, I've got my earth powers. It should be easy."

Jason's fingers tightened on the edge of the table. "Easy to what?" He asked aloud, shooting Daria a glance. "Die?"

She looked surprised at his boldness, though no one else blinked an eye. Maybe she thought that after this morning, Jason wouldn't worry about her anymore. If only that was possible.

"Jason's right," Reyna said, with a little more tact. "You two are strong, but are you really a match for an army? How will you even get to their main camp?"

Daria gave her a dry smile. "I appreciate your confidence. And," she looked at the praetor. "We've come up with a way. Don't want to say it here. Traitor and all."

"It's got to be done," Daniel said as the other Senators shared their doubts. "Otherwise we stand little to no chance. And anyone else would be too..graceless."

It seemed like a direct attack at Jason. He felt his ears grow hot, but one glance at Daria's wary expression, like a fight was about to break out between him and Daniel, or maybe Daniel and Mitch. But also in her eyes was fear. Whatever happened this morning, Jason couldn't let her go alone.

"I'm coming," he announced, halting the conversation. "To their camp. You'll need all the help you can get."

Daniel leaned down on the table so that only Jason and Reyna could hear him. He looked like a psychopath (more so than usual). "What have I told you about staying away from her?"

Jason sneered. "Why so possessive?"

Daniel scowled, probably thinking Jason was implying something different because Jason was definitely jealous until he suddenly remembered that Daniel was really, really gay.

"You're not coming," Daniel snapped as he went back to his prior position. "We can't leave the camp undefended."

"Mitch can combine armies with Reyna," Jason shot back. "Push towards Mt. Othrys; leave a path open for us tomorrow. We can station some other centurions to help. The camp will be fine."