Metamorphosis isn't even that good

They got caught immediately.

She and Daniel walked side by side. They could barely see, but at least they knew why Atticus had been so kind as to not attack at night. They were practicing. Krios was the Lord of the Stars, after all. One of his only talents.

Everyone and their mother knew Daria tended to talk more when she was nervous. That was especially true now, the day after Leila and with Daria constantly disappointed Jason by putting her walls up. It was especially true now, when they were about to see Atticus again.

"Are the handcuffs really necessary?" Daria muttered as they walked through the pitch-black darkness. "They chafe."

"You can still use your powers, can't you?" Daniel said in a tone that made it clear he wanted her to shut up. "Come on, we're almost there."

"Stop!" A voice boomed. Two demigods that had muscles like Michael on steroids approached them, weapons drawn. Daria tried her best to look miserable, which wasn't hard. All she had to do was think about the fact that she was alone with Daniel.

The taller of the two, and by taller she meant they were both like 7 feet tall, approached them. Daniel yanked her forward by the chains attaching her hands. "We've come to see Atticus."

The shorter one frowned. "And he knows you're coming?"

"Shut up, Kevin," the taller snapped. He prodded Daniel's shoulder with his sword. "If we find out you're lying, we'll kill you."

Daniel's eyes were cool. "Touch me again and it'll be the last thing you do."

The two boys bristled. Daria could see the wheels turning in Daniel's head, wondering what powers he would use if they attacked, when Atticus's voice pierced Daria's mind, carrying itself through the air to them. She had to keep from flinching.

"Bring them to me," he said silkily. "Now. If you please."

Here we go, Daria thought as she trudged forward. If there is a god that cares, watch over us, will you?

They made their way to the camp in near silence, though Daria's breathing was a little shallow. She felt strangely small, like the world was ten sizes too big and she was nothing but water vapor. Her head a fog of condensed air.

When she saw Atticus, turned around and barely a silhouette, but already too cruel and too present for her liking. Before anyone spoke, Daria squeezed her eyes shut.

"Atticus," the guard that wasn't Kevin said, sounding nervous. "We've brought prisoners."

A crowd gathered. Like Daniel predicted, most of their forces were in reserve instead of on the battlefield. If they didn't succeed here today, the legion was screwed.

Atticus turned, grinning eerily. The way he looked at her made Daria's knees weak (not in the good way). All of her senses screamed GET OUT!

Realistically, it was only a kiss, and Daria probably should've gotten over it by now – a year later. But she couldn't. It was like she bathed in the Hudson River every time she thought about him. And here he was, like everything was just fine.

"Daria, Daria, Daria," Atticus paced around her like a wolf. He wore an impassive expression, but he wasn't hard to read. Daria could see the flames in his eyes. He was furious. "How's that head of yours?"

Their camp was so utterly gray that Daria found it hard to look anywhere but straight at Atticus. She was aware of Daniel to her left and the hundreds of monsters and enemy demigods, some of them she'd grown up with. They were waiting for a show.