Oh great. Now Jason has to watch out for ghosts.

Daria wouldn't stop talking.

War was a lot gloomier without either of their praetors, but they managed. Mostly since Atticus's army was equally as wiped out. Jason and Daria were standing back to back, a menace together, driving away any monsters in a 100 yard radius with a combination of their powers and swords. Lightning crackled through the Field of Mars. The ground shook, and Jason was levitating to keep his balance.

"It would be so nice out," Daria pointed out as she drove her sword into a echidna that got too close. "But no, you've got a literal rain cloud above our heads."

Jason didn't respond, you know, because he could focus on one thing at a time. A gaggle of empousa were trying to distract him with their charms. Unfortunately, they were pretty ugly, and Jason was kinda into someone else.

"I hope Lupa's okay," Daria sighed. Their armor clanged into each other and Jason could see her scanning the area for her next victim. "Apparently, the Amazons joined her, wherever they are. That would be a sight to see."

Jason was more worried that these ramblings were some weird product of grief. "You're going to get yourself killed. Or worse, me."

"We're wearing armor," she said petulantly. "Fine, I'll go help Nathan then." And in a split second, she was travelling through the sea of demigods, defeating several monsters with the flick of her hand.

He only realized he was staring after a moment, shaking his head and going back to the battle. Oh yeah, Jason had it bad.

Jason knew she wouldn't have left his side unless Nathan really was in trouble, but fighting alone wasn't any fun. Unfortunately, Michael Kahale took that as his cue to stand right where Daria was moments ago.

"Beautiful day, huh?"

"Shut up and fight, Kahale." Jason yanked down the worn helmet of an enemy demigod and slammed the butt of his sword down. The half-blood collapsed in a heap as the whirlwind of battle continued around them.

Then, the sky went dark again. Jason cursed under his breath.

They could still see of course, they had training and War Games were held at night. Even as all the stars faded to blackness, the lady Diana still shone bright. But they were on uneven footing; if Krios's army could see normally, the rest of them were screwed.

So did they keep fighting or not? Jason wondered. He had to make the decision fast. Daria appeared at his side, Nathan in tow.

"I could stay out," she offered. Michael hissed as she stepped on his feet. "Create some earthquakes. I mean, everyone's still fighting, obviously, you can hear them, but they won't last long against, like, a gorgon."

"You're not staying out," Jason and Michael said at the same time.

"Well, unless we're retreating..."

Her voice trailed off as Jason tried to think. Nathan yelled and dragged Michael with him to help defend some poor kid. He had to make a decision, but Daria was chattering away and Jason wanted to tell her to be quiet and-

And then she wasn't talking anymore.

If there was one thing he knew, it was that Daria was the most intelligent fighter at camp. She was strong. She'd been killing monsters since she was 5 years old. Battle was never her weakness; and yet, neither of them saw the dagger coming.

She hadn't, right?

With a strangled yelp, Daria's eyes went wide. The dagger was wedged in between her sternum and her heart, a distance of about one inch. The blade was black and steaming and Jason knew it was poisoned.