Jason gets a personality

There was only one person Jason couldn't stand more than Atticus Blake.

Octavian.

He figured Daria was one sarcastic comment from abandoning Jason somewhere in Galveston. It was now the seventh day of their quest, and Jason knew he wasn't helping Daria's annoyance or her anxiety, but you know, he'd be nicer if Octavian wasn't tripping over himself to get Daria's attention.

The weather was nice; a warm September breeze flirted with the beach they were walking on. So Jason wouldn't mind too much if Daria used the hierarchy of primus pilus and left him by the sea. Honestly, he couldn't even remember what the quest was supposed to achieve.

"I hope we don't run into any monsters," Daria muttered. She was more wary than a year ago when they went to Los Angeles, and kept a hand on her sword at all times.

"Yeah," Jason said sarcastically. His own weapon was sheathed; he was fast enough. "Or Octavian might get us all killed again."

Octavian huffed, walking next to Daria. They were both in front of Jason, but he didn't mind. He was cool that way.

Daria glared at him. "You're so annoying."

"You're more annoying, sweetheart."

Oh yeah, another thing that got on Daria's nerves to no end. Jason was creative about his nicknames, rarely calling Daria 'Daria'. He knew she hated it, but seeing her flustered was Jason and Nathan's main entertainment in life.

"Shut up," she mumbled. "Come on, Octavian. Jason's just being mean," she linked her arm with his. That was definitely revenge. Daria knew exactly how to get on Jason's nerves as well.

"Great!" He called as the distance between them widened. Some onlookers shot him weird looks. "Skip off into the sunset. Maybe this time the gargoyle will get you!"

Daria turned around and stuck her tongue out at him.

The gargoyle Jason was referring to was dead, courtesy of him. It should have been an easy kill; either he or Daria could defeat it in one blow, but Octavian messed up their rhythm. As the gargoyle soared towards him, he stood frozen in place, like an idiot.

Jason wasn't inclined to help him, but Daria tackled Octavian to the ground, saving his life and putting hers in danger. Thankfully, Jason had called down lightning just in time, but Daria was this close to being injured. And it would all be Octavian's fault.

He was already devising plans to get back at the augur in training. Nathan could come up with some pretty nasty pranks; Jason bet he could even get Dakota in on it.

Jason sighed. He missed his friends. Shaking himself out of it, he caught up with Octavian.

"Where'd Daria go?" With Octavian's stupidity, anything could have happened.

He motioned towards the stone structure they were leaning on. "Restroom."

"Fine," Jason leaned against the wall, leering at Octavian. "Why did you even come on this quest?"

"Daria asked me to," he said stiffly. "Maybe she didn't want to be alone with you."

"Did you think of that all by yourself?" He pretended the accusation, even though it was completely false, didn't hurt.

"Look-"

"No, you look, Octavian." Jason took a menacing step forward. "You almost got Daria killed because you fucked up. And I swear to god if you ever do anything as cowardly again, I'll kill you myself."

Octavian gulped, nodding his head rapidly. But Jason wasn't done.

"Daria likes to take care of things," Jason continued, jabbing his finger at Octavian's chest. He was so weak that he almost toppled over. "Which means she likes to take care of you. But if you think, even for a second, that your little crush will get anywhere, then you're wrong."