Just the three of us against the world

"Ryan!" Daria called. "Where the hell are you?"

She didn't get a response, nor did she expect one. Demigods didn't demand audiences with the dead, but Daria needed answers. And she wasn't just any other demigod.

"Ryan Tran!" Daria shouted into the whiteness again. Maybe Pluto would take pity on her. "Show yourself!"

There was a fizzling noise, and then a pop, like a soda can. Ryan looked a little older now, but just as mischievous, a reminder that they hadn't spoken since December.

"Man," he muttered, stretching. "Guy can't even get a break in Elysium these days."

"You have an eternity to do nothing," Daria retorted.

"Very true, Daria." He pulled up two chairs out of nowhere, characteristic smirk on his face. "What can I do for you?"

"Me?" She demanded. "What did you do to Jason?"

His face went slack. "Oh fuck."

"So this Labyrinth," Nathan said from where he was walking alongside Reyna. "Are we leaning towards 50 percent survival or like 90?"

"Theseus wouldn't have gotten out without Ariadne," Jason replied. "So I was thinking more like 10."

"Oh," Nathan's face paled. "Great."

Daria shuddered involuntarily, though it had nothing to do with the conversation. The things she learned last night were more chilling than any monsters.

"There is a strong possibility," Ryan said. "That one of you two will die at the hands of Atticus Blake. Possibly before the war even begins."

The fate of Rome was in their hands, Daria was reminded yet again. And it was much more important than her happiness.

Michael caught her eye. "Hey," he said quietly. "You okay?"

At his soft voice, Daria snapped out of it. She hated it when people treated her like glass. She especially hated it when Michael had never done it before. "Fine," she decided even though her jaw was clenched.

"Okay, so there are some monsters," Reyna shrugged. "We can handle that. What's the catch?"

"It's not just a tunnel," Jason explained as Michael searched the area for signs. They were only a few minutes away now. Daria could feel the magic even from up here. "It's a maze, in essence. Created by Dedalus for King Minos to hold the minotaur-"

"Oh great," Nathan groaned. "He's a nerd now. We've broken him."

Michael snorted in agreement. "I liked you better when you didn't know where Latin America was."

"Knock it off," Reyna said sharply, her brown eyebrows furrowed. She touched Jason's arm lightly in comfort. Daria knew they were close friends, but she couldn't help but feel guilty when she saw the softness in Jason's eyes. She missed that look.

She shook herself out of it. "What were you saying, Jason?" She kept her tone sharp, formal.

Jason's shoulders slumped. "No one cares."

"Stop being dramatic-"

"It's important," Reyna reassured him, shooting Micahel a glare. Daria didn't know when she had become protective of Jason. That was weird. "We're going to need to know everything. Unless, Nathan, a 10 percent shot at survival is enough for you?"