Jason comes to a realization

"Mitch," Jason heard Daria say as he and Michael raced back to camp. Her voice sounded choked, like she was struggling to breathe. "Mitch, I am so, so sorry."

Jason shared a glance with the boy next to him. Well, that couldn't be good.

"What happened?" He demanded as they reached the campfire, slightly out of breath. The sun was setting. From what Jason understood, Daria only got back a few minutes ago. Somehow, his legs couldn't go any slower.

Daria and Mitch were facing each other, almost like a stand-off, except both had defeated looks on their faces. Daria's shoulders were tense, almost touching the bottom of her ears. Mitch's lips were pursed. Jason could see Reyna waiting beside Dakota – both holding their breath.

Daria turned to face him. Her arms were slightly bruised and nicks, like someone had shot a volley of arrows at her which Jason figured wasn't too far from the truth.

"Daniel's dead," she said firmly, confirming what Jason already suspected.

He and Daniel never got along that well. There were only two people Daniel ever cared about: Mitch and Daria. With Jason, he was always too demanding, too harsh. Jason wanted to grieve, but he couldn't bring himself to.

He figured the guy would end up in Elysium, because Daniel was a hero as strange as it sounded. Jason just hoped that he and Daniel Aurello would never have to meet again.

He let out a breath. With both their praetors gone, and no primus pilus, the war had taken a sudden 180. "Did you manage to accomplish your goal?"

Daria raised an eyebrow. A small crowd started forming, looking for hope maybe, a sign that they were doing the right thing. Two of their strongest fighters had died already. How many more could Atticus pick off before the war was over?

"Yes, we managed," she said briskly, though Jason didn't think the bitterness in her tone was addressed at him. Or at least, he hoped it wasn't. "How about you? Do we have a clear path to Mt. Othrys?"

Jason nodded silently, trying to think of what to do next. Daria took that moment to talk to the other Senators. "Then the war will be won tomorrow. I can assure you that."

"Your assurances mean nothing to us," Octavian snapped, standing. He marched over to her and Jason caught Nathan move to stop him before Jess put a hand on his shoulder. "You got our praetor killed. A shadow of death follows you around, it seems."

That was harsh and he knew it. Something like hesitation played in Daria's eyes. Jason watched as she kept herself from flinching when Octavian towered over her. If Jason wasn't the son of the prophecy, if he didn't have some stupid standards to live up to, he would've walked over there and decked the augur right then.

Thankfully, Mitch stood; Octavian was taller, but Mitch was the son of Mars, so he was terrifying when he wanted to be. He squinted, anger visible on his face. "Have you even fought in this war?"

Octavian shrank back as Dakota's snickers were heard over the whispering. Jason ignored them and looked at the legion. There were younger children who looked afraid, clutching each other in comfort, a gesture that Jason understood all too well."

"Okay," Jason spoke after sharing a silent conversation with Reyna who moved to stand beside her. "We go to Mt. Othrys tomorrow. Mitch, you up for leading the army?"

Mitch sighed, swinging a bow over his shoulder. "I always am."

"Then we finish the war tomorrow," Reyna agreed. Daria moved to replace her in the background, Dakota tucking her under their arm. "Everyone, take the evening to recuperate. Atticus's forces are all but demolished. No one will be attacking tonight."