Tom Marvelo Riddle

Twelve days after the fight with Mattheo, and he still hadn't uttered a word to me. Tom on the other hand stayed near me all day, and while I tried to protest it, I found myself enjoying it. He'd be vicious to those around us, and then get back to my room and be impossibly flirtatious and smiley. 

It's Thursday evening, and the uncomfortable fall weather makes it nearly impossible for me to fall asleep. I eventually change out of my uniform, tired from studying all night with Blaise. 

With my silk pajamas on, I grab my wand and whisper "Lumos" 

The tip of my wand lights up and I shove midi uggs Pansy thought were cute onto my feet and go down to the common room, book in hand. Although when I approach the room, I first see the clock. 12:43 in the morning. 

I let out a sigh and realize I'll only be up later if I try to sleep. Settling on one of the couches, I lose my thoughts in the adventures of The Picture of Dorian Gray, rereading the same sentences and unable to focus.

I hear a door open upstairs and someone carrying things down. It sounded like a lot, uncommon for so far into the year. 

I see a tall silhouette, almost black hair and a sharp, certainly expensive, black suit. When he turns around, my tired eyes make out his blue ones and I realize who it is. 

"Tom, hey" I say, sitting up from the couch. 

"What are you doing here?" He asks. 

"What's the matter?" I ask picking up on his stern expression and furrowed brows. Then I note the luggage around him. 

"Where are you going?" I ask, my breath shaky as I realize he might be leaving. 

"Away. Jesus I'm sorry" Tom says turning away from me and running his hands through his hair, his tie loosening around his neck and top three buttons of his shirt undone. He looks messed up, like he hasn't slept for days. He seems unnerved, and unsettlingly angry. 

"Tom, what's going on?" I ask, my tone tired and wavering. He still isn't facing me, instead messing with one of his bags, looking for something. 

"C'mon, can we just go back upstairs and sleep, we have class tomorrow. Go to whatever meeting or thing with suits tomorrow. Ok? C'mon" I say, standing up and coming closer to him. He turns around and his expression fades. He pulls me in by my waist and kisses me. 

"God I wish we'd had done that earlier" He says looking down at me as he moves a piece of hair out of my face

"My love, I don't want to leave you" He says softly, our foreheads connected and eye contact unbroken. I feel my heart drop to my stomach and softly say "then don't" 

He looks down at the ground, then back up at me. 

"I wish it was that easy. But its choosing you, leaving you temporarily, or leaving you forever. I'll be back for you. I promise love, I'm not leaving you. But I need to go for a little bit" He says, voice becoming hard. 

"When are you coming back?" I ask, as the clock behind me ticks to signal its reached 2 in the morning. He breaks away from our stare and removes his hand from my face. 

Moving closer to his things, he hands me a neatly creased piece of parchment, my name messily scrawled across the top. Tom's cursive always got slightly more messy the more he rushed, his letters slightly more slanted then they should be.

He presses his lips to my forehead, then looks down into my eyes and wipes the tear off my face. 

"I love you" He says softly and waves his wand, him and his things disappearing. I felt myself stumble backwards into the couch and steadied myself sitting up.