The Change

I stumble onto the ground in front of me, my vision blurry. I don't know why the tears start falling, probably because everything right now seems to melancholy, like everything joyful now has a sour tone. All memories, tarnished. 

I want to go somewhere else. 

I want to escape. 

-

I had been here before, watching the Triwizard with the Parkinsons a while back, so I familiarly entered the artful graffiti in downtown Paris. 

I had apparated to the school.

I was standing outside of Beauxbatons, the stunning modern buildings in front of me, flowers blooming outside of the entrance. It was spring after all. When I stepped through however, my view changed completly. 

The gates began to twist and the large modern buildings faded, repaced with small cottages and greenhouses, Quidditch pitches and canvases. The main glassy foyer was well lit with natural sunlight as I walked the somewhat unfamiliar direction to the headmistresses office. 

-

"Avery James it is then?" Madame Maxine asked me kindly after listening to me speak about why I was here, needing a fresh start. The only thing I didn't tell her was my name, and when she asked, the faux one came out instead. 

"Correct Madame" I say softly, my faded British accent making myself a clear outlier. It didn't matter though. I was here to be myself, take some time to figure out what would happen back home. 

After going over everything, including the fact that my stay could be a short one or prolonged, depending on the situation of back home, I thanked Maxine and left the office immediately finding a large shady tree on the huge grounds. 

I immediately laid down and finally looked up at the beautiful sky, my mind still and breathing steady.

"Hey!" A short blond girl called out in front of me. I sat up immediately as her wild curls bounced, her light dress flowing behind her. 

"Athena" She said smiling sticking out her hand and sitting underneath the tree beside me. 

"Avery" I said with a smile almost meeting hers. 

"Pretty isn't it? Spencer should be here soon, if Maxine doesn't kill him first. You might of seen him when you left the office? I had been walking him there and I followed you outside" She states. 

"Oh so you're stalking me" I say laughing. 

"Of course" She says with a dramatic wink laughing as well. 

Just then, a tall brunette boy with shiny blue eyes appeared, his hair messy and smile unmatched. 

"Spencer" Athena says coldly. 

"What have I done this time to upset her majesty" Spencer says throwing down his stuff and sitting down with us, looking quite at peace sitting on the dirt. He seemed like the kind of person who didn't care, just wanted to enjoy life while it lasted. 

"You're late!" Athena says hitting him with a book. 

He laughs and dodges barely. 

"And whose this?" He asks looking at me, his piercing eyes directly meeting mine. 

"Avery" Athena supplies. 

"Avery" He repeats. 

"Aves" He settles on. 

"Not a chance" I say laughing. 

"You'd be surprised what I can do once I set my mind to it" Spencer says raising his eyebrows dramatically.