ch24: Boiling Point

cw: sexually explicit material, descriptions of panic attacks/anxiety

☆☆☆

Dear Wills,

I cannot believe I managed to leave my pullover at your place. How absolutely mind-boggling that it just completely slipped my brain. Guess you'll just have to keep it 'til I can come get it back. Hope to see you soon.

George

(your neighbor)

Willow smiled to herself as she re-read George's letter from earlier this week for the millionth time. The teasing way he wrote and the fact that he still signed his letters the same way each time made her giddy in a way she didn't want to admit to herself.

It was already Thursday and she hadn't been able to see him in person all week. They had continued their correspondence throughout the week as much they could through the mail, but George had described to her how busy he'd been all week in more than one of the letters.

She was trying her hardest to not come off as desperate to see him, but she felt good about their situation since he continued to respond to her. Earlier in the week, she had gotten an exceptionally heavy period, which, as usual, made her question everything she was doing in life. But thankfully it had calmed down by now and she was feeling better.

The rest of her week had been filled with mail from all sorts of people. Willow had ultimately decided that it was in her best interest to agree to cater the party once Madame Duval had given her a few more solid details. It was supposed to be a smaller, more private event, so Willow felt confident—for now.

Because of this, she had decided to start putting the word out into the wizarding world that they were looking to hire a new employee. She always knew that it wouldn't just be her, Seth, and Everly forever, but there was something particularly odd about looking for a new employee so close to the opening date.

She always had plans to add multiple new employees to the roster at the end of January, but, for now, she just wanted to focus on one more set of hands to help out. Willow had been conducting interviews all week to find the perfect start to her catering team, but she hadn't felt satisfied with anyone just yet.

The other mail she'd sent and received this week was all to Taylor. She had RSVP'd to their wedding party—plus one included—shortly after George had left her place on Monday. Unfortunately, that meant that she soon received a letter back from Taylor inviting her out to lunch with them, with the added request she brings George.

Willow hadn't managed to mention the lunch date to him since she already felt awkward enough inviting him to the wedding party. Going to lunch with her brothers and George felt a little too much like being in a real relationship with him—and she didn't want to scare him off.

Other than all the mail, Willow's week had been extremely uneventful. Nothing exciting was happening inside the bakery. Everly, Seth, and she mostly spent the few days they worked this week cleaning and fixing things inside the front area.

When Willow bought the place, the kitchen was brand new so the only place that really needed work was the front area. Apparently, the people who lived there before her had intended to make the building into a restaurant of some kind but gave up before they really got started. George and Lee had told her a story one time of how they think it was their fault they left, but Willow had chosen not to believe them.

She had given Seth and Everly the rest of the day off and into the weekend because she didn't feel an immediate need for either of them. So she had an entire Thursday afternoon ahead of herself, and so far all she'd done was sit in her chair and watch the people below her window.