Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I GROAN AS I hear the curtains being pulled back, most likely by Miss Natalie, before light floods into my room

I GROAN AS I hear the curtains being pulled back, most likely by Miss Natalie, before light floods into my room. On days like these, I resent having a room on the east side of the building.

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey," she coos, and I scowl in her direction without actually opening my eyes.

"Don't even joke about that. You know they don't let me eat anything good like bacon or scrambled eggs." Since I had woken up I had been put on a strict diet to try and speed up my recovery. At first, I hadn't even been able to eat, so I received everything through an IV or a feeding tube. But once I recovered enough, every food that went into my body was according to a meal plan. This included lots of high protein food, whole grain, and especially those vegetables that nobody likes, including kale and beets. It was gross.

Miss Natalie ignores my grouchy comment, instead pouring a glass of water from the pitcher she must've brought in, handing it to me along with a cup of medication. "Come on, up and at 'em. We've got a lot of work to do today."

The last week hadn't been a great one for me. I had passed out during one of my walking exercises Monday, meaning I had later been subject to many tests to make sure everything was okay. Turns out, it was just low blood sugar from skipping out on lunch. However, this meant that everyone was always on high alert around me, and I hadn't been allowed to do any serious therapy for the last few days. But Miss Natalie told me she has a surprise for me today, and I'm actually excited to find out what it is.

She moves to my side, shifting the blankets off of my waist to reveal my shorts-clad legs. They still look weird to me; I had lost basically all of my muscle, and although it's slowly coming back from exercising and eating, my 88 pounds is nowhere near what it should be. And I despise it.

Nevertheless, she helps me shift my legs to the side, eventually supporting me so I can get off of the bed and into my wheelchair. At least my arms will be getting stronger.

We make small talk as she pushes me to the cafeteria, where my pre-prepared meal is most likely waiting for me, probably oatmeal and a protein shake.

Miss Natalie parks me at my normal table as she goes to pick up my meal, and I smile at Elizabeth, the small girl sitting near me.

"Hey Lizzie, h-how're you?" I ask, and she gives me a big toothy grin.

"I'm super good! My mommy brought me a new bandana yesterday and Miss Laurie says it's her favorite on me!" She screeches, pointing frantically at the tie dye cloth covering her hairless head. She's full of energy today, which makes my smile even bigger.

"It's beautiful, Lizzie. Definitely suits you." It really does.

She garbles on for a while longer about her mom and sister's visit yesterday, and Miss Natalie shows up with my food before leaving the cafeteria.