Chapter Twenty-Nine

Six Years Ago

Six Years Ago

THE SCHOOL BELL rang, the sound sending all the kids in my class into disarray. The teacher tried to call over the sounds of students packing up to announce the homework, but nobody could make out what she was saying.

I stacked my notebook on top of my folder, placing them both neatly into my backpack before closing my desk.

I hesitated as I walked out the door of the classroom, not sure if I should wait for a few minutes or not. Neither Bree nor Caleb were at school today–Caleb was sick and Bree had a doctor's appointment–so it was just me and Noah. I wasn't sure if he'd expect me to wait for him, or even want to walk with just me.

He spent a lot of time over at our house, but it was always with Caleb and their other friends. Bree and I always kept to ourselves, and even when we did try to play with them we were always sent away. So it wasn't my fault that I was always awkward when talking to him, and it definitely had nothing to do with the fact that I had a huge crush on him.

Definitely not.

I stood nervously by the big planter just outside the school gates. What if he came out and just ignored me because he didn't want to walk with me? What if he had already left and I was waiting for nothing?

I got so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice when he had walked up to me. "You ready to go?"

I jumped slightly, his voice shocking me out of my worries. "O-Oh, uh, yeah!"

He chuckled, looking at me out of the side of his eye as we started walking. "I hope you weren't waiting too long. You could have left without me."

Did that mean he wishes I hadn't waited so he wouldn't have to walk with me? "It, uh, I wasn't waiting long."

He nodded his head, about to say something else before one of his friends walked up to him. I recognized the kid as someone who's been at our house before, but I didn't know his name.

He started to talk to Noah, and I slowed my pace a little to let them be. Maybe I should take a different way home. Maybe it was stupid to wait for Noah when he obviously doesn't want to walk or talk with me.

I sighed, watching yet another kid walk up to Noah and his friend. I knew Noah and Caleb were popular. Girls in our grade were always talking about how cute they were, especially at recess when they played football with the other boys on the field. I tried to ignore them ogling over my brother, but I always felt stupidly jealous when they talked about Noah.

I was practically shuffling my feet now, and I had almost lost sight of the boys. I doubted Noah would realize I wasn't there. It wasn't hard to forget about me.

It wasn't until I stopped at the crossing guard's corner, waiting until it was safe to cross that I met up with Noah again. "Hey, there you are," he spoke, falling in step next to me again. His friends weren't with us anymore; they must have crossed the other way. "I was wondering where you had gone off to."