Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I TAP MY foot nervously against the carpet, my hands wringing in my lap

I TAP MY foot nervously against the carpet, my hands wringing in my lap. My mother places her hand on my arm, trying to quell my nervous ticks. It doesn't work very well.

My parents and I are sat in the office of the high school that Caleb attends, waiting to meet with the principal and one of the guidance counselors. Apparently, we're here to talk about my future at the school and what options are open for me. We've already come up with our plan, but that means nothing if they don't approve of it.

After what feels like hours of waiting but was likely only a few minutes, the door to the principal's office opens and he ushers us in. Dad pushes my wheelchair through the door and we settle down in front of the large desk. There's another woman in the room, who I'm assuming is the counselor. Her black hair is pulled back into a tight bun, and she's dressed in a clean pressed blouse and skirt. My eyes are drawn back to the principal, who's a middle aged man with his hair cut very close to his head. His face has a kind expression, though I'm sure he can be stern when he needs to.

They shake hands with my parents, and then with me, introducing themselves as Mr. Anderson and Mrs. Gutierrez.

"Okay," Mr. Anderson starts. "So we've both been updated on your situation and we're happy to hear the suggestions you have and provide our own as well."

It's my mother that speaks first. "Well, obviously Leah is behind her peers in terms of content, but we were hoping that some online classes here would allow her to make up some of those classes while moving at her own pace. We also thought that she could fill the rest of her schedule with regular classes. Of course, she won't graduate on time, but we think it would be best for her to have classes with kids her age."

The principal and the counselor nod their heads. "That sounds reasonable," Mr. Anderson agrees.

"Of course, this all depends on the availability of the classes and what periods they are offered. We plan on having three different periods of Cyber High this year, and I'm sure she would be able to take the appropriate classes," Mrs. Gutierrez supplies. "Her other classes can electives or even academic classes with no prerequisites. Are hoping for her to make up enough credits to graduate in a few years, or maybe to later receiver he GED? What is the end goal here?" She asks kindly.

My dad looks at me before speaking. "We're not completely sure at the moment. There are some unknowns with her future medical treatments, so we'd like to start with getting her back in school before pushing for future plans."

Mrs. Gutierrez nods in understanding. "I think the Cyber High classes are a good choice then. If you do choose to try for graduation, there is also the option to take some summer classes or night classes at the local community college. Of course, if that is what you'd like to do I would suggest waiting until at least second semester so Leah isn't overwhelmed."