Chapter Thirty-Seven

Memories flash through my mind, and I now realize that's what they are

Memories flash through my mind, and I now realize that's what they are. Memories. Some of the ones I never got back.

I see Dad and Caleb playing catch in the backyard as I walk around, whining that I'm not being included. The picture morphs into one of Bree and I playing on the playground in elementary school.

It feels like I'm actually there. My mom's hand soothes me as it rubs up and down my back, the two of us sitting in front of a fire at Christmas time. Then it's my tenth birthday, and I watch as all ten of the candles on my cake are blown out at once.

And then it's scenes I do remember. My first day back home after being in the hospital, cutting off my hair with Bree and Lizzie. Spending time with my family, Caleb, Lindsay and I laughing at something my dad said. My first kiss with Noah after my birthday party, watching movies with all my friends.

The memories come faster, and it feels like I'm suffocating and finally breathing at the same time. I can hear a noise over top of everything, but it's like there are cotton balls in my ears. Everything gets louder and louder, and I want to cover my ears, until one word comes through clearly.

"Leah."