Chapter Thirty-Two

ONE MONTH HAS never felt longer and more drawn out

It feels like the rest of the world continues to go on while I'm stuck standing still, and I'm not even the one in the coma. It's hard to do anything without Leah here. On one hand, I don't want to put my life on hold while Leah is under; she would never want that for me. On the other, I don't want Leah to think that everyone has forgotten about her once she's woken up. Like she meant that little that I can just easily move on.

Because I can't.

I hate the idea that people are starting to accept Leah's absence as normal, like they'd be fine to continue with their lives if she never wakes up.

It had become easier for me to focus in school. Although Leah was quite frequently on my mind, I had learned to make it through the day without completely freaking out and worrying the whole day. I wouldn't say I was living, just surviving. Still taking it day by day.

Caleb and I were hanging out at his house, chilling in the living room. The TV was on, the sounds of some TV show drowning out the silence. We weren't uncomfortable together-we had never been-but we were both pretty quiet.

Caleb let out a sigh. "Dude, we're both way too depressed."
I scoffed. "I mean, with good reason. It's not like we're just lounging around and being lazy."

Caleb doesn't answer me right away, but instead switches the topic slightly. "It's crazy how different our lives are from a year ago."

I look over at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

He shrugs. "I mean, a year ago you were still acting like an asshole over your injury, I was always a dick for no reason at all, and-"

He cuts off, and I realize he was probably going to say something about Leah, but she was once again in a coma. "It's still different, man. She's had such a positive impact in our lives on just a few months, and even if she's not right here with us right now, that doesn't change the last few months."
He nods. "I know, but still, it sucks."

We sit there in silence for a little longer before I decide to break it. "Okay, this is too much. Want to go outside and throw around a football?"

Caleb nods. The two of us have both spent too much time recently moping around our houses and not getting out as much. Going outside to play football will do us some good.

 Going outside to play football will do us some good