Chapter Five

Princess Adeline paced back and forth in extreme agitation. She could not notice the awe-inspiring sunset showcased in the windows behind her. All she was physically capable of doing was moving from one end of the Reception Room to the other. Her eyes scanned the crimson carpet with its gold border as she paced the floor. Every time her eyes struck marble tiles, she twirled about and proceeded back the way she came. In a few moments she would be receiving Prince Darrik and perhaps all her dreams would come true.

"You're going to make me sick," Prewitt cautioned. "I don't do well with motion. I haven't the physique for it."

"What about my physique," Adeline posed. "What if it makes him nauseous? What if he looks at me and says, 'Ugh. Which way to the nearest privy?' What will we do then?"

"Call for the royal physician, I suppose."

Adeline stopped and scowled at the pug. "Very funny."

"I thought it rather fine myself," Prewitt said. "Anyway, it got you to stop moving."

Princess Adeline sighed, "Why should so much rest on one man, Prewitt? Why can't I make my own rules and shovel out happiness to my people in my own way?"

Prewitt scratched his neck, causing his crystal-studded collar to whirl around his throat. "I think they call it the Test of Time, or something like that. When the word 'always' can be applied to a situation it usually means change might as well play dead."

"It makes me feel so helpless," the Princess confessed. "And no amount of advice to be myself will uplift the spirits. Being myself is the one thing I fear most, because, if he doesn't fancy the girl he sees before him, I'm done for. The newest member of the Sisterhood of Spinsters will be inducted in short order."

"I'll mark the date on my calendar," Prewitt blasély promised. "Wouldn't miss it for the juiciest filet mignon."

"Thanks," Adeline said.

"I live to give satisfaction," he replied.

Adeline hugged herself, feebly trying to coax up confidence and gaiety. As recently as that afternoon, she was looking forward to the prince's arrival. She picked out her gown and wrote the perfect dinner menu. All was planned to ward away unforeseen flukes. But now he was in the palace and on his way to meet her. Her flowing, blue gown and loosely braided hair bedecked with pearls could not promise a positive outcome. All was uncertainty for Princess Adeline. Her future now lay in the hands of one young man and his personal tastes.

Adeline and Prewitt both snapped to attention when they heard the great floor-to-ceiling doors swing open. Adeline swept up her skirts and raced to the center of the room. She smoothed out her gown, checked her hair and took the pose of a princess poised to greet a privileged guest.

As long as you keep breathing every few seconds, she advised herself, everything should turn out fine. She watched the servants rigidly step into two lines, clearing the carpet for a grand entrance.

Adeline's government and courtiers also stood on the marble, pressing in on the carpet's edge for the best view of the scene about to play out. The Royal Guards and Trumpeters next made their procession down the long hall just outside the Reception Room. They exhibited grandeur and discipline, the lions of the guard and the river realm's indigenous miniature elephants as royal trumpeters. Princess Adeline's heart pounded a riotous timponi, though her calm exterior showed no sign. The Guards and Trumpeters stood outside the doorway, ready at any moment to raise their swords and sounds in traditional respect. The stage was set...