Chapter Ten

Eudora wished all hours of her day were as peaceful as this one. She sat on the balcony outside Princess Adeline's Royal Bedchamber, content with the company of her needlework and the soothing rhythm it provided. The evening was lovely. The air was warm without perspiration and the breeze swirling here and there gave a kiss of coolness to the atmosphere. The fragrance of the blooming gardens below wafted up to enthuse Eudora's senses. These were the moments she felt most alive, because everything about her seemed to compliment the still and silence.

It was sometimes very hard to be the Princess of Once-upon-a Time's handmaiden. Eudora's position was one of unquestionable honour, yet it bore hidden difficulties. She loved to serve Princess Adeline and play a critical role in her everyday life, from beautification to strict punctuality to girlish secrets. Nothing gave Eudora greater pleasure than their nightly chats at the vanity while Eudora brushed Adeline's long, blonde hair. There was an almost sisterly bond between them which none of the other servants could boast. Eudora considered it a unique blessing she neither expected nor deserved.

This was the opinion held by most servants in the palace. They somehow lifted Eudora up in their eyes as being too close to the princess to be counted as one of their own. She was in another class in their estimation, thus they excluded her from their conversation and relationships. So, though it was a treasured gift to be Princess Adeline's handmaiden, it was a lonely, lofty position to maintain.

When Princess Adeline was off listening to peasant and political grievances, Eudora was left alone. She had her chores to do, like everyone else, but no one to gossip or joke with during her princess' absence. If the laundry or cleaning did not consume her attention, her thoughts would take a dark turn down the path of her past. These represented the most torturous hours of Eudora's days and nights. There were reasons why no one knew exactly where the gorgeous handmaiden came from or who she was underneath her quiet exterior. She was a woman of mystery because her past was too painful to illuminate.

Tonight, Eudora's mind wandered over recent events. She found herself returning to contemplation of Prince Darrik. She had not seen much of him since that first day. She caught glimpses out of windows or down corridors, but nothing more. There was, of course, Princess Adeline's constant utterings on their tete-a-tetes and how he made her laugh, blush or frown. Eudora sometimes wished the princess did not tell her every detail of her meetings with Prince Darrik, but whatever gave Princess Adeline joy was to be endured. It was good to see the princess smiling and talking at a million words a minute out of jubilation, instead of the usual frustration and broken-heartedness.

Still, Eudora was not convinced Prince Darrik was the man for Princess Adeline, or that Adeline truly believed they were a perfect pair. The prince amused Adeline and made her imagination soar, but he did not fulfill other requirements. Whoever married Princess Adeline would need a serious mind that loved helping her run the kingdom. Prince Darrik was not that man. Adeline needed much more than Darrik was prepared to give and possessed much more than he realized he needed.

"Not sleeping on the job, I hope."

Eudora poked her pointer finger with her needle, the interruption so startled her. She sucked on the wound to reduce the pain and bleeding. That prick smarted! With emerald eyes flaming, she threw her mending on the balcony floor and leaned over the railing to address the person that caused her pain.

"You shouldn't do that," she rebuked, holding up her wounded finger, "Look! I'm bleeding!"

Prince Darrik (who else?) gazed up at Eudora, the smirk on his face quickly sweeping away like a raindrop on glass. His eyes grew in alarm after hearing her outburst. He had some chivalry in his makeup, shockingly enough. So when he saw he had done a lady harm, he felt an urgent need to reverse the damage.