Chapter Eighteen

Princess Adeline's blue eyes began to dry up as she stared at the young man standing behind Lady Jaqueline. She could not blink; she was far too horror stricken. Adeline's fingertips pressed against the stone wall, almost attempting to sink into its rocky embrace. The shock of Lady Jacqueline having a grown son overwhelmed her senses. As she stared at the man who would be her husband, Adeline realized even eternal loneliness was not as horrible as she formerly considered it.

Lady Jacqueline luxuriated in the princess' torment. She had no compassion on the poor girl, trapped into a marriage she could not possibly desire. There was no escape for Adeline. She was wholly at Lady Jacqueline's mercy, and her ladyship reveled in this all-encompassing power over another ruler of Fairy Tale's many provinces. And after this marriage, Lady Jacqueline's authority could only grow.

That was the other cause of Adeline's despair. Naturally the prospect of marrying an utter stranger was dark and gloomy, especially when the stranger was the offspring of Lady Jacqueline. It was his connection to that enemy of all the lands of Fairy Tale that frightened Adeline most. Through a royal marriage, Once-upon-a Time and Distress would be united forever, under one throne of control. Their king and queen would not have total authority, exclusive say in the way their kingdoms should be run. No indeed, Adeline and her king would only be puppets to Lady Jacqueline's will. The Queen Mother would be the real power behind the throne. Once-upon-a Time would be lost under dismal oppression, and, soon after, other kingdoms would fall to her vicious schemes through war and witchcraft.

Lady Jacqueline smiled devilishly as she read Princess Adeline's thoughts. Now they both knew where they stood in the larger picture of Fairy Tale's future. The wicked woman tapped her pointer fingers on her crossed arms.

"Well, my children, I have always believed in a short engagement, so I think four days is a sufficient preparation time for this wedding," she said, moving across to the door, her skirt smacking against the floor like rubber. "In the meantime, I suggest you two get to know one another. Not that it much matters; you'll have your whole lives to become better acquainted."

She giggled in her throat before exiting the cell. Then, the two young people were left alone together.

Princess Adeline assessed the appearance of the man standing before her. If he was not the progeny of Lady Jacqueline, he would have been quite a heroic figure. In short, he was the romantic ideal – tall, dark and handsome. This was not a total surprise, for Lady Jacqueline was actually quite beautiful, though her fashion sense rather overshadowed that loveliness with its macabre flavor. Still, her son was not similarly dressed. He wore a khaki shirt and black pants, all held together by burlap suspenders. His long legs and muscular arms and chest did seem slightly threatening to the petite princess. Still, even his stature would not have worried her, had he expressed a single emotion upon his countenance. The prince of Distress was a cold statue, only blinking every now and again to prove he was no automaton.

Princess Adeline pushed herself away from the wall, trying to decide how best to begin conversation. Her partner across the room was not going to help move matters along. All he did was stare at her with dark, alert eyes. There was an amazing intensity in those eyes. His vision clung to her as if she was the first person he had ever seen. Adeline felt uncomfortable under that gaze. She pushed some of her blonde hair behind her ear and glanced in any other direction possible. She did not want to make a bad impression on the man she would be saddled with for the rest of her life. It would only heap greater misery onto an unbearable situation.

"So," Adeline timidly began. "I suppose introductions are in order. I'm Adeline, which you probably already know."

The princess waited for him to respond, but he remained silent. Why so impolite, she wondered. Well, just look at his mother. Not really a paragon of courtesy. Unless of course, he doesn't know the rules of introductions. Locked away in here, maybe he is a more pathetic captive than I am. Princess Adeline was prepared to take a chance on this much softer outlook.