Chapter Nine

Night finally cast its starry shadow across Once-upon-a Time. Gillroy, however, was still hard at work in the stables. His domain was settling down for the evening and all other stable hands went home hours ago. But not Gillroy. He never seemed to tire of this cool shelter with its dependable sights and sounds. It was atrocious to even dream of this vocation being a burden, as Prince Darrik suggested on their ride. No, Gillroy was born into the perfect life for him.

As he brushed Dark Journey down in the center of the stable, Gillroy knew he had more than one reason to stay on the premises past regular hours. This work kept his mind off of other things. While he was here, all he had to think about were the bristles going smoothly back, forth and around Dark Journey's black coat. The movement calmed and settled him. The stables were a safe haven from the anxieties outside...unless someone brought those troubles with them inside.

"Hi-yah stranger," a sweet voice greeted from the winding, stone stairs in front of him. Dark Journey's muscular body blocked Gillroy's vision, but it made no difference. Gillroy knew that voice.

"Stranger than you think," he replied, the same way he had always done since they were five.

Her tiny giggle was better than bubbles in champagne for him. He heard her dainty steps slowly saunter towards him. When he looked up from his brushing, she was there toothlessly smiling upon him. It was the smile of loving friendship that silenced fears and straightened tumbling words. Gillroy knew Prince Darrik would never win such a smile from her, and yet he envied those of such a different nature the prince would receive.

"I'm glad you never forget, Gill," Adeline said. "All the mountains may tumble and the a Time River run dry, but my Gill will ever remain constant and true."

"So you're telling me I'm too set in my ways," he joked with a serious countenance. She was right, some things never changed.

"Prince Darrik said you wanted to speak with me. I'm all ears."

With that, she took up a spare brush and started grooming Dark Journey beside her friend. They shared this love for horses and their care. It brought back memories, a countless number. If only they had been born of the same station. If only they had never grown into adults. If only she never had to leave his side. If only...

"I know I will sound perfectly crazy by saying this," Gillroy began. "But better safe than sorry. Adeline, I think there might be dragons in Once-upon-a Time."

She stopped brushing Dark Journey. He could see her brain whirling wildly to compute his statement. If she took this seriously, there were so many steps to take. The time, workforce and spending would be outrageous. The occupants of Once-upon-a Time would surely be thrown into panic. Princess Adeline would never get a moment's rest until the threat was vanquished. Good-bye to any chance of courting a prince.

"Dragons," she asked, never budging a muscle. She looked straight at the brush and her free hand that rested on Dark Journey's shoulder.

"Well, maybe not plural, to be precise," he admitted. "But where one dragon roams..."

Adeline shut her eyes tight. She didn't want to imagine the end of that sentence. Earlier that day, she promised Prewitt she would do everything to protect her beloved province. She couldn't let dragons ravage her countryside. Everyone trusted her to defend them. If she moved fast, they might not even have to know there had been any danger in the first place.

Adeline turned to Gillroy. "You'd better tell me everything."

Even though he saw how it hurt her, Gillroy moved forward. There was no going back now he had broached the subject. Carefully he told her the whole story – how the scenery had been silenced, the sun overshadowed and the smell of smoke alone left lingering. That was all he had to go on, but it did all add up. Didn't it?