Chapter Eight

It was usually considered the vilest offense imaginable (well, amongst certain circles, mainly the very aged and mostly females) for youngsters to eat ice cream before supper. However, this was an extraordinary occasion for the families gathered in Once-upon-a Time. Six- and under-year-olds were being honoured at an ice cream social and art show to exhibit their inspired, quirky creations to their princess. Under a tent striped with Adeline's favourite colours, blue and white, all their creativity was displayed for the city to enjoy, along with creamy soft-serve goodness.

Princess Adeline held a brown, bear cub on her hip and smiled as its father sketched their image with impeccable speed and accuracy. The fuzzy runt had inherited his parent's gift of drawing. Baby Bear was showcasing a charcoal masterpiece entitled 'Storm Clouds on the Horizon.' Adeline did not quite approve of the dim subject matter, but she could appreciate its life-like realism – not that she wanted such horizons in her life.

"Perfect," Papa Bear finally said. "An image of loveliness."

"He is a cutie, isn't he," Adeline stated, giving the little fella a poke on his wee nose. The cub giggled and squirmed in her arms.

"No, no, Your Majesty," Papa Bear corrected with a slight smile and shake of his head. "I meant you."

Princess Adeline blushed. "Oh. Well, that's very kind of you."

Gently, she put the cub back on the ground. He hopped over to his father with innocent glee. Mama Bear joined them with three bowls of ice cream. The cub jumped and clapped as she handed it over to her little artiste.

"I hope that's not too little or too much for you, Baby," Mama said.

"Just right," her tiny tot replied. "Thank you, Mama."

Princess Adeline left the Bear family to mingle with her other subjects. It was charming to see these little ones and their parental units having such a peachy time. Dedicated parents were conversing easily on the historical art movements of Fairy Tale, while their offspring played tag and Duck, Duck, Goose together. Their princess found these images most gratifying. Her citizens were carefree and thriving. She must be doing something right as their reigning ruler if such scenes were possible.

Princess Adeline's favourite moment occurred each time a proud parent gave their child a hug or pat upon the head. It was a small thing, but to Adeline the expression meant the world. King Osman never beamed at her like these parents. These boys and girls had nothing to prove to their mothers and fathers; they already knew they were loved and objects of boasting. Of course they produced marvels at such a young age; they had their parents' full encouragement they could and would do great things.

How fortunate they are, Adeline mused. She respected their fine parents more than she could express. It was a shame her father had not taken a lesson from similar examples. He loved her, she knew, but the king never believed in his child. His fear of her failure had done deep damage. Things would have been different had he just once told her he had faith in her abilities. Yes, it was a shame he had not been an exemplary father, but being father of the nation had flip-flopped his priorities.

"Adeline! Hey!"

Princess Adeline turned to see Prince Darrik springing through the crowd. Naturally, the citizens parted smoothly to ease his path to their princess. He was still walking off the exhilaration of his ride. Adeline glanced over heads to see Gillroy holding Knightley and Dark Journey's reigns outside the tent. Darrik smiled big as he took a spot beside her.

"I wasn't expecting you here," Adeline said.

"Well, no one told me there'd be refreshments. What is this anyway?" he asked as some unidentified servant handed him a bowl of ice cream. The prince didn't even acknowledge the offering. Adeline had to give the kind helper a grateful nod.