Chapter Six

The last hand was kissed, the last curtsy made and the last carriage rolled away from the castle. Princess Adeline and Prince Darrik both gave out great sighs and leaned against opposing marble columns. The official part of the day was over. No more royal etiquette to observe. The exit of aristocratic observers seemed to sweep a breath of fresh air into the castle's nooks and crannies.

As the two royals' eyes met, both let loose an embarrassed laugh and looked away. It was easy to perform for the masses, but now the audience was gone. Only the invisible servants and security remained. This was new territory. If they couldn't get along now, then all their hopes of happiness were shot.

The great clock upon the castle's tower struck eleven and resounded through the land. Prince Darrik poked his head out to view the night sky. Once-upon-a Time was slumbering in peace and, consequently, missing the lovely evening outdoors. The night was set at perfect temperature; just right. Fireflies alone danced across the well kept lawns.

"Wow," Prince Darrik said. "I thought it was way later. Just eleven o'clock; who would have guessed?"

Immediately he kicked himself inside. You idiot, he derided, you haven't really resorted to talking about the time? Next you'll be chatting over the weather. She's going to think you're the most awkward loser alive. Don't lose your cool as soon as you're on your own.

"You've had a long journey; you must be exhausted," Adeline reasoned.

"Oh no, not in the least! I was just thinking there's still a few good hours of the day left. Care to show me the gardens?"

His puppy dog eyes begged so adorably, Princess Adeline could not refuse. She ignored her tired limbs beckoning her off to bed. She would probably regret this moonlit stroll tomorrow morning, yet she could not be sensible with Darrick extending his hand to her. The twinkling stars tempted her fantasies and she had to follow their beautiful call.

"I'd love to, Darrik," she assented.

"Wonderful," he said. He put her hand in the crook of his arm and they were on their way, down the gravel paths of the garden. Adeline practically had to skip along to keep up with his hasty steps. If they kept at this rate, he'd get through all the miles of gardens in ten minutes, without having noticed a single flower or topiary. She wanted to ask him where the fire was but thought better of the subtle mockery. All in good time.

Right as Adeline and Darrik moved to the entrance of the shrubberies, a voice caused them both to screech to a stop. They quite nearly slipped on the stone beneath their feet, barely avoiding a face full of pebbles. The two young people whirled around to look upon the speaker calling out Princess Adeline's name.

"It's you!" Prince Darrik shouted, dropping Adeline's hand from his arm.

"What," Adeline asked. "You know one another?"

For, in fact, the voice belonged to Eudora – the same voice and person that berated the prince upon the road. She blinked at her betters innocently. She did not expect this prince to remember the little episode concerning her near trampling. So, she had not prepared an explanation to present to Princess Adeline.

"Something like that," Eudora mumbled. "One of those circumstances where one party is in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Prince Darrik crossed his arms over his chest. "How do you like that?"

"Excuse me," Adeline begged pardon. She was struggling to keep up.

Prince Darrik marched forward to address the handmaiden. Eudora did not cower. Adeline grabbed her long dress with one hand and tripped close behind the prince.