Chapter Seven

The sun rose and set time and again. Days passed. Other walks and talks took place. A friendship formed. Princess Adeline and Prince Darrik's names were coupled in polite conversation. Occupants of the palace said there was a charming change in their princess. Her eyes sparkled and her cheeks held a rosier glow. Could this be? Dare they hope?

Adeline currently sat at the head of a long, oak table of governing representatives, resting her chin on her knuckles, contemplating anything else but the discussion at hand. She imagined Darrik's present activities. He would be on his afternoon ride right about now. How dashing he would look as he raced across the hills and valleys of Once-upon-a Time. Sigh.

Suddenly, the door to the corridor crashed open. Princess Adeline and all her advisors quickly looked in the intruder's direction. There were no guards in sight to apprehend the miscreant. Soon enough all involved understood why.

For there stood Prince Darrik. Bright lights seemed to surround his form in the doorway. His hand held the hilt of his sword in its scabbard with firmness, threatening any that stood in the way of achieving his mission. His brown eyes were aflame with wild determination – like none she had seen there before. His gaze fell on her alone. Princess Adeline lungs stuck to her ribcage, her eyes grew two sizes at least.

"Adeline," Darrik uttered breathlessly.

"Darrik," Adeline called to him. Darrik inhaled a hope bursting breath as she uttered his name. Without even having to brush his bangs from his face, Prince Darrik crossed the distance of the room, causing every head to turn as he passed. Princess Adeline rose from her chair almost in slow motion, though still keeping one hand on the arm of her seat to bolster her courage and strength of mind.

"Darrik, what is the meaning of this," Adeline asked. She fingered the pearls around her neck, aghast. Could this be her moment? Was he not bowing humbly down on one knee just as if the greatest question of all time was about to slip from his lips? Did his gaze of eternal affection not speak louder than words?

"Adeline, it will not do. I can't go on this way any longer," Prince Darrik revolted against polite tradition with a hasty shake of his handsome head. He took her hand from the chair and stroked it fondly with his thumbs.

"Darrik, I don't understand."

"I can't be patient when it comes to matters of the heart. Adeline, darling," he said, "I have loved you since the moment I first set eyes on your remarkable beauty. Since then, I have become even more enchanted with your deep and selfless character, never tiring of putting others above yourself. You are the finest woman I've ever known, and, in my mind, the finest in all of Fairy Tale, past, present or future. I love you, Adeline."

"Oh," was all she was capable of saying in response to his confession.

"Could you love me too, Adeline? Is it possible I may be so blessed?" Darrik begged. His chestnut eyes were big and pathetic; a man in love. She was his dream now; his very joy depended upon her.

Darrik clasped her hand tighter, with added ardency, though thankfully without physical damage.

"Adeline," Darrik said. "Will you marry me? Will you be my queen?"

Adeline gasped. Her blue eyes suddenly filled with tears. She smiled with a blushing dazzle the kingdom had not seen in four years.

"Ahem. Your Majesty," some wise, ancient voice coughed.

"Yes?" Adeline said dreamily. Then, she snapped to attention. All the faces of her government stared at her. They were waiting as patiently as possible, for politicians that is. "Yes. How may I help you?"