42. Vastly Unprepared

A/N: Double updating as promised! Here's the second chapter. A baddie has returned :P 

"Aydin!" Sephirah chastised, punching his arm as she continued her trek through the sand

"Aydin!" Sephirah chastised, punching his arm as she continued her trek through the sand. Her cheeks flamed, tingling with the rush of blood and her magic ruffled with agitation.

"What?" Aydin widened his eyes, feigning innocence as he rubbed the spot she'd punched.

"Focus on your training, not on...on..." Sephirah stuttered, the sensation in her cheeks spreading down her throat as she struggled to say the words.

In the Nix Kingdom, there were no such discussions. Sephirah wasn't used to hearing remarks alluding to discrete bedroom matters. However, it was a topic that Aydin was clearly well-versed in. He openly hinted at everything he wanted to do, especially when it came to women.

"The euphoric, addicting, pleasure that drives women and men to collide in a sensual dance of epic proportions," Aydin offered, a slow smirk stretching across his face as Sephirah's nose wrinkled. "Forgive me if I would prefer to focus on that rather than the dreadful training awaiting us."

"Well, I would prefer if you stopped talking to me about it," Sephirah snapped. She shoved down the roar of magic surging through her veins.

He was and would forever be a womanizing prick.

"Okay." Aydin raised in his hands in surrender, shrugging slightly. The smirk slipped off his face as he turned his eyes away from her, staring at the backs of the men they were following.

Silence fell over the pair. Sephirah blew out a long breath as she finally managed to calm down. Behind them, she could hear the quiet shuffling of Alethia and Ren. She opened her mind shields when she felt Nova's light prodding.

I will hunt.

Be safe. Don't go too far, Nova. Sephirah smiled as her bird cawed briefly from the skies. Her bright feathers drifted away as she turned sharply in the opposite direction.

"I apologize," Aydin spoke lightly, drawing Sephirah's eyes back to him. She lifted her eyebrows in surprise. It wasn't often the prince offered apologizes, and it was even rarer for him to direct them her way.

Aydin pushed back the hood of his cloak as he ran a hand through his hair. "I genuinely didn't mean to upset you. I was trying to distract myself."

"From what?" Sephirah edged closer to hear his lowered voice over the gusting winds.

"I messed up, Rah." Aydin's eyes shifted to the sand beneath them; his voice grew raspy with pain. "What if I fail again?"

Sephirah's heart constricted in sympathy. Aydin was always the confident one. No matter how many times they'd wrestled and she'd dominated their flights, he returned the next day with a new technique. He never stopped trying. The arrogant smirk never slipped, and his contagious laughter after a defeat was just as loud as it was when he finally won.