17. Princess of War

A/N: Heads up, this chapter is kind of long but I didn't want to break up since the next couple of ones will be broken into parts. Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow if you're feeling wild :)

Sephirah leaned against the wall, watching as a guard slipped through the large throne room doors to relay her message

Sephirah leaned against the wall, watching as a guard slipped through the large throne room doors to relay her message. Nova flew inside at Sephirah's request. The guards had been anxious when she approached, and she was curious as to why she wasn't allowed into the room.

Message relayed.

Nova's soft voice appeared in Sephirah's open mind. Her eyes glowed red as she sent Nova a question through the bond connecting them. Status of the room?

Prisoners kneeling in front of the king. Aydin is distressed.

At the words, she straightened, glaring at the guards. The Nixian warriors standing near her noticed her change in demeanor, their eyes narrowing. Suddenly, the doors opened, and Nova came flying out before perching on Sephirah's shoulder. The pink leather shoulder pads on her black jumpsuit prevented her from feeling Nova's claws dig in for balance.

Sephirah watched as Aydin's mother exited the throne room, tears falling down her pale cheeks and hands clutching the fabric of her dress. A group of guards surrounded her, and Sephirah met the queen's eyes. The queen gave a weak smile before she was led away and around the corner.

A guard came out of the room and approached Sephirah. "Prince Aydin has requested that you wait in the guest quarters with your companions. The king shall summon you when he finishes his business."

Hands balling up into a fist, Sephirah's nostrils flared with annoyance. How dare they make a princess of the great Nix Kingdom wait? Sephirah scoffed.

Men are absolutely foolish.

Sephirah turned on her heel and nodded to her female warriors. She had allowed two of her most trusted friends to journey to the Gera Kingdom with her. Without them, the journey across the sea would have been a dull and lonely one. Her companions fell in step behind her as she went towards the guest quarters.

The guard who had given Sephirah the message hurried to keep up with her. She scowled at him, brow furrowing at his presence. "I know where the guest quarters are. Go elsewhere."

Sephirah watched the man stop, bowing at the waist before jogging in the opposite direction. Her friends chuckled behind her as she continued advancing. Sephirah's relaxed into a smile at the sound.

"Whenever I come to the Gera Kingdom, I'm grateful for my mother's rule. The men here are sorely lacking in every redeemable aspect."

Blaise laughed, the deep sound startling a passing servant carrying a basket of folded laundry. "Your Highness, you shouldn't say such things in public. At least wait until we get to the guest quarters."

"You might have a point there," Sephirah conceded, throwing a grin over her shoulder at her companions. The guest quarters weren't far from the throne room. Reaching the door, a servant waited for them with a key in his hand. Sephirah nodded at the boy who returned it with a bow.