14. Trollops on the Throne (Part 1)

A/N: Hi there you guys! I think this was the hardest chapter I've ever written...literally. After days of contemplating if I should even post this, I decided to go ahead and do it. Please leave comments, don't forget to vote, and follow if you want :)

HEADS UP: Due to length and multiple scenes, I thought it would be best to split this chapter into parts. I don't know what possesses me when I write but lord, my word count is insane by the end.

Sabrina felt Aydin's eyes search her face as Alethia's words hung heavy in the air

Sabrina felt Aydin's eyes search her face as Alethia's words hung heavy in the air. She heard his fading footsteps as her eyes fluttered shut. Sabrina's chest heaved as magic coursed through her veins. It left behind a burning sensation that spread like a wildfire. Images unwillingly surfaced in a tangled mess as Sabrina tried to shove her unpredictable magic deep within herself.

The woman, Cecilia, flashed in her mind, her face as vivid as if she was standing in front of Sabrina. She watched as the king's mistress ran across the castle grounds, her grey cloak flapping with the breeze. Cecilia turned her head, curls spilling out of her hood as her panicked eyes took in her surroundings.

Sabrina could feel the woman's terror as she knocked three times on the gates of the castle. A guard looked down at the mistress from the top of the walls and nodded. The gates opened, and Cecilia burst free, running away.

A cold sweat broke out on Sabrina's brow as her eyes flew open at the sound of footsteps. She knew it was Cecilia. Ever since Sabrina was locked in the dungeon, the woman came to give her food and request her to dream about her future.

Nearly three times a day, Cecilia had appeared before her, rambling on about her desires. Sabrina recalled what the woman had told her over the past several days. Cecilia was one of the many handmaids in service to Queen Bellerose. When she wasn't serving the king's wife, she was keeping the king's bed warm and reporting back to him about the queen.

Queen Bellerose had a soft spot for refugees. The queen went behind her husband's back to provide food, shelter, and jobs to those that sought their aid. And Cecilia kept King Chancellor aware of every one of the queen's movements and actions.

Cecilia was a desperate and transparent woman, the type that was easy to manipulate. She was willing to do anything necessary to achieve her goals without considering the consequences.

Soft padded footsteps shuffled closer, and a melodious voice spoke with the guards. Sabrina's lips formed a thoughtful frown as the plan she'd been working on shifted into place. The vision of the mistress running away had been the last piece she needed to begin the process.

At the thought, Cecilia appeared, brown curls piled up on top of her head, and a harsh red color stained her lips. She wore what Sabrina presumed to be her handmaid uniform. A long pale blue dress with overly long sleeves, material from them trailing across the ground. Slits in the sleeves allowed the woman's hands to be free.