44. Show Them All (Part 2)

A/N: I think you guys are going to really enjoy this part :) I feel it in bones lol. Please leave behind your reactions and thoughts, I love reading them! They make my day. Also don't forget to vote and share if you're feeling especially kind <3

"Can you believe it, Aydin?" Sephirah jumped on the balls of her feet in front of him

"Can you believe it, Aydin?" Sephirah jumped on the balls of her feet in front of him. She was grinning that crazed smile that meant she was ready and more than willing to fight anything that moved.

His trainer had led him back to the tent he shared with Sephirah after hours of practicing. In the end, he was only able to move the dagger forward by the smallest margin. Every bone in his body shuddered with fatigue when he'd collapsed sideways on the blue rug covering the sand on his side.

Just as he'd begun to relax, Sephirah had rushed into the tent, eyes lit with delight and excitement. Only she would have even more energy after goddess knows what type of training they managed to find for her to do.

"As much as I would love to, I cannot read your mind, Rah," Aydin replied with a rough voice. He was tired and he didn't want to play any guessing games with his childhood friend.

"I would absolutely loathe it if you could do that," Sephirah's perky nose scrunched up in disgust. Aydin smiled at the motion, the urge to pull on her nose strong enough that he moved his hands underneath his bottom.

"So, what happened?" Aydin inquired. Sephirah was always a good distraction. From the lingering pain in his chest to the liquid numbness that he still craved against his goodwill; she was someone who could take his mind off of it all.

Sephirah gave him a charming smile that tightened his chest. She plopped down next to him, close enough that their knees brushed together. The heat of her knee was intense enough that it raced up his thigh.

He rubbed his eyes, trying to ignore the feeling. He'd been with too many women to be fazed by her proximity. Aydin's jaw tightened as his eyes focused on her knee again.

Dammit.

Tons of women had brushed their most intimate parts alongside his, but it never got to him. Here Sephirah was fully clothed and just her damn knee had his mind in the gutter.

It was official. He was losing it.

"—and then they grew actual claws," she was saying.

Aydin jerked his eyes away from her knee, attempting and failing to recall what she had just said. She stared at him expectantly, waiting on a response he couldn't give her. Aydin stared at her freckled face and pure golden eyes. Her hair was frizzy and wilder than usual, but it matched the full smile on her face and flushed cheeks. Her perky nose was sweaty from the sun, glistening in the dim lighting of the tent.

"Are you listening to me, Aydin?" she huffed out, waving a hand in front of his face. Aydin reached out and grabbed her hand as she dropped it, intertwining their fingers seamlessly. Her mouth opened and eyes dropped to their tightly joined palms. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"