32. The Warmest Welcome

A/N: We're back to the lovely twins in the desert. And with them comes a couple of new words that's in their language along with the other ones I introduced in the previous desert chapter. Also, please note, this chapter is a bit on the longer side and it is intense. Mature content ahead lol.

Glossary

buqa ouras - wise ones

irbaq uxa - cursed one

irbaq lstaeds - cursed twins

nedasr - master

chog - dung

seynwafm - servant

lisanhos - brother (used in term of familiarity and high respect)

ashitourt - ancestors

Kai turned back to the captain, a contemplative frown forming beneath the green wool cloth covering his mouth

Kai turned back to the captain, a contemplative frown forming beneath the green wool cloth covering his mouth. The material irritated his jawline, causing an itching sensation, but he refrained from rubbing it. Instead, he tilted his head at Weylin.

"This is not your decision to make," Kai stated firmy, silver eyes glinting in the sunlight that came through the open slit in the tent behind Weylin. Kai's leather boots dug into the brown fur rugs covering the sand. At the thought of the fur's origins, his frown deepened. "You serve my family, and as such, it is not your place to question my decisions."

"Have the buqa ouras approved of this?" Weylin shot back, thickly muscled arms crossing over his chest. His dark skin gleamed under the jagged edges of his sleeveless linen shirt, shiny and glistening with sweat.

A gust of wind entered the tent, fluttering Kai's white cloak. Sand flew in vigorously, landing on his headcloth and shoulders. Kai flicked his pierced tongue, a flicker of agitation stirring his magic. "They have. Although, that should mean nothing as you report to me."

"I report to you now," Weylin corrected, dull brown eyes narrowing. The scars across his face crinkled with discontent. He bent down to snatch his grey cloak lying on top of the low, tan, and polished table, scattering crumbled pieces of paper onto the rugs. "How many men per group, irbaq uxa?"

A deep growl sounded from Lugo, who poked his head inside of the tent. Weylin's eyes darted to the lion, a flash of fear crossing his expression. Kai shoved down the surge of anger that arose at the captain's disrespect. He'd accidentally sent Lugo a wave of them, agitating his companion. Kai's jaw clenched tightly. He felt his silver cuffs burn against his skin as he sent his wild magic into them.

He forced himself to tamper down on his emotions and magic. He needed Weylin to gather together four groups of men, each skilled in one aspect. Kai required people who had the highest of capabilities with their powers—specifically, shielding, healing, blood, and spatial magic. It was an essential preparation for when the princess arrived.