16. Trollops on the Throne (Part 3)

A/N: You guys wouldn't believe the songs I listen to when I write lol.

As if answering her prayers, Sabrina's sleep was peaceful, and she fell deep into the comforting emptiness of her mind

She awoke to the sound of the wall creaking open. Sabrina sat up slowly, wiping the sleep from her eyes. She glanced over to her side and found Ren still sitting in the chair, eyes focused on the tunnel. Alethia had transferred to the ground and was now getting up, hand gripping the hilt of her sword.

Heavy footsteps thudded against the dirt, and Sabrina knew it wasn't the queen or Aydin.

The guards had come for them.

Just as she knew they would. Sabrina stood up, trembling hands dusting off her cloak. Ren rose out of the chair and glanced at her with his jaw clenched in restrained fury.

Out from the tunnel came six guards, red cloaks and silver armor etched with their golden dragon symbol. Their hands rested on the hilts of their blades as the person in the front stepped closer, a brown beard cut into a sharp square jutted out from his chin.

"King Chancellor has been notified of your presence, and you are required to come with us to the throne room."

Ren threw Sabrina and Alethia a death glare.

"Nothing will happen to us there," Sabrina said in an attempt to appease him. "I am certain of it."

Ren's scowl remained unchanged, if anything, it deepened with disbelief. He gestured with his hand mockingly towards the awaiting guards. "Then after you, Lady Sabrina."

Before Sabrina could step forward, Alethia moved ahead. She walked up to the front guard and lifted her chin.

"Lead us to the throne room."

Sabrina blinked in surprise while Ren rubbed his temple with his index finger. The guard took a step back and cleared his throat before nodding. Sabrina hurried to walk in front of Alethia as she began following the first pair of guards who started back towards the opening. Ren brought up the rear.

The rest of the soldiers flanked their backs, surrounding them. Sabrina had the urge to pull up the hood of her cloak but closed her hands into a fist to quell the motion. The final piece of her plan was about to fall into place.

Her blood rushed with anticipation as the fiery force of her magic flared up again. Heart beating faster than a galloping horse, she followed the guards through the temple and across the castle grounds. Their tight formation made her feel suffocated.

Inside of the castle, guards and servants stepped swiftly out of the way, curious eyes following them as they continued through the hallways. The sun had traveled across the sky, and it seemed as if darkness was fast approaching. At the thought, her stomach felt like it was filled with lead.