8. Sadistic Bastards (Part 1)

A/N: Comment, vote, and leave me some of your reactions! I love you guys so much. Thank you so much for supporting me and inspiring me to write. Wattpad has the greatest writing community. Enjoy the story!

Ren dragged Alethia through the hallways as the clanking sound of armor followed them

Ren dragged Alethia through the hallways as the clanking sound of armor followed them. He sprinted in the direction of the garden. The sky outside of the open spaces in the wall flashed with white lighting as he ran. As he rounded a turn, he was met with soldiers rushing towards them and cursed underneath his breath.

He looked back at the group of soldiers running at them from behind. He clenched his jaw and tightened his grip on Alethia's arm, who was standing with a vacant look on her face.

A harsh gust of wind blew through the window next to him, whipping the loose hairs that had fallen out of his ponytail in his face. Ren took a deep breath, ignoring the pain in his heart and wounded body. If there was any moment he wished that gods existed, then it was here and now.

Turning, Ren pushed the girl to the window. "Climb out, now."

Luckily, her hearing wasn't messed up. She scrambled out, and Ren leaped out after her. The cold, brutal wind whipped across their faces as the sky rumbled with anger. He couldn't help but agree with the weather.

He had lost the only person left who had cared about him. Ren flinched, pushing the thought aside.

There was no time for grief. Ren grabbed Alethia, dragging her across the castle grounds as the soldiers climbed out of the window. He glanced at the garden area and noticed the soldiers looming within its flower beds, hovering over the open latch door. So that's how the wretch knew we were here.

And it was how she was keeping them from escaping.

Ren's chest heaved as the brisk air attacked his lungs. He heard the snap of bowstring and dropped to the ground, knocking Alethia down with his arm and covering her with his body. An arrow flew centimeters away from where he was standing and glazed his shoulder.

Rain slowly began to fall, wetting his hair and clothes. The castle walls were a couple of feet in front of him, and he scanned the top of it from the ground. He could scarcely make out the forms of the archers as the rain hammered down on them. Their arrows would be useless unless they were particularly skilled at archery. Ren didn't want to find out.

He got to his feet quickly, pulling Alethia up. The ground vibrated as he looked behind them. At least a dozen soldiers were on their way, swords drawn and helmets covering their faces. The sky lightened briefly before a thundering sound erupted.

"We need horses." Ren looked at Alethia, who was staring at the approaching soldiers, eyes glistening with unshed tears. She didn't respond. Ren's heart pounded against his chest in an attempt to burst out of it. He gripped Alethia's sharp shoulders tightly, shaking her hard.

Her eyes snapped to his and Ren spoke harshly, "Horses, Alethia. Or we're going to die. Don't let the old man's death be in vain."

Alethia's face hardened, the trance she was in dissipating at his words. She nodded and started running closer to the main gate of the castle. Ren ran after her, the mud on the ground filling with water as the rain flooded it. Spiked pillars of mud shot out, and the pair narrowly dodged them as they ran in a zigzag pattern.