Prologue

If wishes come true, I'd be with you.”— Ishii, I'm in BNHA

Prologue
-

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY ISHII! Happy birthday Ishii! Happy birthday, happy birthday! Happy Birthday Ishii!" The crowd around her sang.

She sat in the middle of the room, her smile as wide as ever. She had the grin plastered on her face like there was no problem in the world at all. She radiated positive vibes and made everyone around her happy. She was a ray of sunshine.

One would say she is... happy.

But deep within those oceanic gray eyes swims the darkest of sorrows that envelop her soul. The pain, loss, and emptiness she feels inside was incomparable to the smile she was wearing.

Oh if only it were true.

If only she was happy.

Maybe then..

Maybe then she would feel alive.

"It's time to blow the birthday candles!" Her cousin and friend, Chloe Ragano came barreling through the European structured doors, making her way through the crowd of friends, family, and acquaintances that had gathered for Ishii's birthday.

Ishii mustered up an even bigger smile as Chloe skidded to a stop to put her cake in front of her to blow the candles.

16, that was the number of blue and white candles that were positioned all over the white and blue cake.

"One more time!" Izumi Ragano, Chloe's twin sister who's also Ishii's cousin and friend motioned for everyone to repeat the happy birthday song.

Everyone started to sing and clap again, all looking at Ishii.

Ishii's chest tightened. She wants to leave.

But she can't.

Not when everyone is looking at her like this.

Like..

Like she was the world.

She feels pressured.

Living up to the name everyone created for her ate her from the inside out. The pressure was overwhelming.

She silently sighed to herself. If Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia was pressured, what would he do?

Keep his head up high and fight.

Just like he fought with Todoroki in the Sportsfest.

She liked to act how the characters in anime do. They all seemed so strong, so versatile, so.. real.

Sometimes, even Ishii wondered if they were the real ones rather than the society she was born in. Rather than humans.

Maybe..

Maybe the anime was real and the humans were not.

That's what she hoped for, at least.

Reality struck her like Kaminari's lightning when her mom took a photo of her, the camera flashing so bright. Her mother and father looked very happy. As did everyone else in the room.

She wishes she was happy like them too.

She just wanted to crawl up into a hole and die.

No, she is not depressed.

She has no reason to be depressed.

She just feels like something is missing.

"Come on blow the candles!" Enamour Gomez, her other cousin smiled at her while everyone cheered.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Chloe's voice interrupted the crowd's cheers.

Everyone silenced.

"You should make a wish first!" Chloe squealed.

And just like that, the room erupted into cheers again.

Her eyes narrowed and her nose scrunched up cutely.

A wish? She asked herself. What should I wish for?

She looked up from the cake and watched everyone with weary eyes. They all looked blurry to her.

She loves them, yes.

But...

But her heart wants something else.

The void in her heart needed to be filled.

And she knew just how that would happen.

She closed her eyes, making the world around her disappear. She felt herself floating in mid-air, but she wasn't scared.

She recited the wish in her head like a prayer.

She opened her eyes, once again ignoring the world around her as she blew the candles.

And just like that..

Her wish was granted.