3 | Muri-Obasan

"Balloons are deflating, guess they look lifeless like me." Giveon, Heartbreak Anniversary

Chapter Three
-

HER BLACK SHOES clacked against the cemented hallways of the school. Her uniform was a snug fit to her figure. She didn't even know that it was possible for something to be so tight. She wanted to have it altered, but alas, the reality of the situation that this was a dream- ironic, right?- hit her and she realized that she doesn't need adjustments because she'll soon be leaving the dream anyway.

The heels she wore made distinct clacking noises that echoed through the bustling hallways. Everyone was looking her way and she couldn't help but feel embarrassed.

However exterior facade didn't falter one bit. She kept her head tall as she walked, pretending that she was totally not affected by their stares, when in reality, she was.

"Who's that girl?" An orange-haired girl whispered to her classmate as Ishii passed.

"Why is she with Midnight-sensei?" Another asked, not even bothering to talk in hushed whispers.

Kayama Nemuri momentarily glanced at her niece, wanting to check if the girl was okay despite the stares and murmurs in the crowd. Instead, she was met with Ishii's stoic dingy gray eyes.

The latter's eyes were trained straight ahead, not even sparing a glance at the nosy students.

Nemuri was pleased. Of course, she knew Ishii would react like this- the girl was just like her mother. Both Ishii and her mother, Isabella had such complex personalities. It was a wonder why the two never clashed when the latter was still alive. Maybe it was their love for each other that made them work well together.

Nemuri wishes that she could keep the spark alight in Ishii's eyes, the way her sister Isabella did. But she knows deep inside her heart that she could never replace Isabella as Ishii's mother, no matter how hard she tried.

The two suddenly came to a halt in front of the tall double door of Ishii's new classroom.

While Nemuri knew exactly what was happening, Ishii was troubled.

Despite her trying to wrap her head around the fact that she was living inside an anime, she was still lost.

She has no idea what to do.

"Isabella would have been so proud to see you enroll at UA, even if it's the second semester." Midnight kissed the top of Ishii's head, making the latter turn a bit red at the sudden display of affection.

Heck she doesn't even know who Isabella is.

Midnight has been talking about this Isabella character for quite some time now. She's gotten the gist of who the person may be- a family member of Nemuri's?

She has no idea.

That Isabella person never existed in the anime or the manga. She vaguely remembers Midnight having a sister though, so that may be it.

Ishii gave her a curt nod, not knowing what to say. She wasn't accustomed to everything happening. She turned away, only to be jolted backwards again.

"Oh and before you go..." Midnight trailed off, her hand clasping around Ishii's wrist to prevent her from leaving.

The older woman in her skintight 18+ pro hero costume pulled out something from the black and silver Gucci handbag she brought with her to work.

She handed the seemingly thick paperback to a very confused Ishii.

The white haired girl took it in her hands, encasing the book with her palms. It was a white hardbound book with a lock and key dangling from the middle part of the bound.

"I saw that on your bed this morning. I also picked up its key from the bedside table in case you forgot to bring it." Midnight explained.

Ishii's brows furrowed in confusion. Why is she giving this to me?

She glanced at the side of the book and saw her name with a different surname written in neat cursive gold letters— Property of Iza Shiki Kayama.

Kayama? She asked herself. Is that my surname here?

She knew it was Midnight's surname— but did that mean that her father was a Kayama? She doesn't remember Midnight having a brother, through. So a sister, maybe? Maybe she has a single mom?

Midnight looked at her confused looking niece and assumed that she was perplexed because it was the only belonging that was in her reach.

"If you're wondering about your other stuff, don't worry. I already have some people to bring them over to the dorms.."

"You know where your dorm is, right?" The pro hero asked Ishii.

Her silvery gray eyes looked at Midnight and she shook her head no. "No."

Midnight pursed her lips, "I'll have someone take you there later. Most of your classmates already memorized the route to their rooms because of the visit there last week. We went there too, though we arrived at night when no one was around because of my work schedule."

Ishii's brows furrowed. I visited the dorms last week?

She doesn't remember.

Oh well. She shrugged to herself. It's just a dream after all. I don't need to comprehend anything. It'll all be over soon.

She looked at Midnight and gave the latter a curt bow. "I'll be going to class now, Midnight-sensei."

Nemuri had a smile playing on her lips as she looked at her niece. "You can still call me Muri-Obasan here at school, Itchei."

Still? Ishii frowned. When has she ever called Midnight Muri-Obasan ?

This is literally her first time to have a dream somehow related to anime. So it must not have happened before.

Damn, my subconscious mind is completely fucked up. She thought to herself.

She knows that dreams are brought in by the subconscious mind so she can't help but put the blame on it.

"Oh right." A small smile graced its way on her baby pink lips. "I'll see you later, Muri-Obasan."

The pro hero gave her a small smile. "You too, Itchei."

And with that, Ishii opened the tall double door that led to- well, the anime characters she only saw on TV.

-

***
Muri-Obasan
- Aunt Muri (Nemuri)

***Muri-Obasan- Aunt Muri (Nemuri)

-