Chapter Seventeen

With your ass perched on the nurse's station desk, you watched the automated clock hanging above the computers, listening to Shara and Jannah type their assessments at almost lightning speeds. You had managed to discharge six patients, leaving ten patients snug in their hospital beds, medicated and resting peacefully. Without thinking, you took another bite of your doughnut, fulfilling your debt to Shara from the last time you had worked together. It was nearly midnight, the hours dredging on until you could finally clock out and go home. 

Finally see Kylo, you thought to yourself. 

Unbeknownst to you, Shara and Jannah had finished their charting, gossiping amongst each other, stealing quick bites of their doughnuts as they chatted. 

"So, Doc...what's new with you? I feel like I haven't worked with you in ages!" Shara said, taking a sip of her coffee. You smirked, nodding as you tore off a piece of your doughnut. 

"Not a whole lot, really. Just working and trying to keep Pryde in check. I feel like I should just move in here...I hardly ever leave..." you sighed, popping the doughnut piece in your mouth, slowly chewing as your eyes caught on the telemetry monitor, watching the steady heart rates of your patients. 

"How's your brother been since your uncle passed? I knew they were close." Shara enquired, braiding her long, brunette strands, eyes trained on you. A chuckle escaped your lips before you could swallow it down with your doughnut, earning weird glances from your nursing staff. 

"Screwing anything and everything with ears...And keeping busy with work. We just...don't talk about it." You shrugged, looking down at your fidgeting hands now that there wasn't a doughnut to occupy them. 

Fuck, that doughnut was really good, too. 

Shara gave you a sad smile, securing the end of her braid with a hair tie, straightening up in her chair again. 

"I was thinking about when I first met you two. Vic tried to ask me out on a date and cried when I told him that I was married. Then, you," Shara chuckled, continuing, "asked me if I knew all the bones in the body and pointed all over your body, making me name all of them!" 

A blush licked over your cheeks at the memory of your younger self, remembering Vicrul as the cherub faced, sweetheart you had grown up with, complimenting your harsh, analytical personality. 

"Your mother had her hands full with you two...But you both were her pride and joy." Shara said with a smile. Your heart ached, wishing for nothing more than to feel your mother wrap her arms around you just one more time, pressing her lips into your hair and humming the lullaby she sang to you and Vicrul every night before bed. 

You nodded, smiling as you looked back down at your hands. 

"Yeah, there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about her..." you sighed. 

You could hear Jannah sniffle, attempting to hide it by clearing her throat loudly. 

"I love you both, but if y'all don't stop, I'm gonna start crying and I don't know if I'll be able to stop." Jannah said, delicately wiping at her under eyes with a tissue. You chuckled to yourself, swinging your feet, feeling your ankles gently bounce off of the cabinets below you. 

"Fine, fine! What about your love life? Have you finally found a good man to settle down with?" Shara asked, raising an eyebrow at you while she dug through her work bag blindly, fishing out a nail file. 

"Or at least one that will rail you into next week?" Jannah added, taking a sip of her coffee, earning a smack from the nail file in Shara's hand as you giggled.