Chapter Twenty-One

A stabbing pain seemed to spread from your temples to the back of your neck, every nerve ending pounding with each squeeze of your heart, almost enough to pull a whimper from your lips. You could decipher that you were in a room with intense artificial lighting, the light attempting to pour through your eyelids, making the pain in your skull exponentially worse. As you shifted slightly on the uncomfortable surface below you, you could feel something tugging on both your ears, as well as your hand. Just as your fingertips brushed the skin on the dorsal plane of your hand, something large and warm closed around it. 

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Baby..." Kylo's baritone voice mumbled from beside you, his hand now rubbing yours gently, almost like he was scared to touch you. Seeming pleased that you had stopped attacking whatever was attached to the top of your hand, Kylo settled for interlacing your fingers together, rather than keeping it trapped within the confines of both of his. 

You groaned, squeezing your eyelids tighter together, hoping to block out the light that seemed to grow brighter with every passing moment. Without thinking, you brought your free hand up to your ears, attempting to feel out what was hanging from them. Right as your fingertips brushed against the soft, flexible tubing, Kylo snatched up your hand, rubbing the pad of his thumb along your knuckles, his finger dipping within the hills and valleys of your hand. 

"They didn't tell us that you could take that off yet, Kitten. Leave it on, please." Kylo whispered, his breath brushing against the back of your hand, his warm, plush lips pressing against your knuckles. 

You couldn't deny the fact that your heart began to pick up its pace within the confines of your chest, hammering against your ribcage once his lips made contact with your skin. Surely, if there was a heart monitor nearby, it would be just as evident to him as it was to you. 

"What happened?" you mumbled, barely able to manage a whisper. A deep, almost disgruntled sigh escaped Kylo's lips. You turned your head towards where you knew him to be sitting, opening your eyes just enough to look at him. Though the light emanating from the room nearly blinded you, you felt as if you had been struck by something else. 

You could tell that Kylo had been holding in the stress of the situation, his massive shoulders hunched over, almost turning in on themselves as he sat next to you. His waves were tousled, like he had run his fingers through them so much, they had lost their previous shape. Kylo's eyes, once like warm honey, now deep and cold, calculating exactly what transpired. He continued to chew on the inside of his cheek, his chiseled jaw working out his internalized anxiety. 

"Ummm...," Kylo sighed again, bringing the hand that was holding yours back up to his lips, keeping them perched against your knuckles before he continued, his lips moving against the skin, "how much do you remember?"

You squeezed his hand, bringing his gaze up to you, smiling softly at him. 

"I remember grabbing a glass of champagne and giving the toast...," you frowned, trying to recall anything else from the rest of the night, but coming up empty handed, "I don't remember anything after that..." 

Kylo simply nodded, keeping your hand locked in his, looking down at your interlaced fingers, his face hard and unreadable. You looked away, feeling a sense of guilt for not being able to remember everything that happened. Without thinking, you began to pick at some of the pilled up fabric on the hospital issued blanket, trying to calm your racing thoughts. A quick rap on the door pulled you out of drowning yourself in thought. 

"Hello, it's Rey, the doctor. May I come in?" she asked, her voice nearly as cheery as the brilliant smile on her face. You simply nodded, sitting up straighter in your hospital bed.