Chapter Twenty-Eight

The summer heat melted into the brisk, whipping breeze of autumn before you could manage to wrap your mind around the changing of seasons, contemplating how time had passed so suddenly. 

You held your mug of seasonal tea close to your chest, watching the people below. Despite the window being closed and locked, you could still faintly hear the excited chatter of a small family below, carrying shopping bags filled with costumes. The children babbled, skipping ahead of their parents, hand in hand. You couldn't help the smile that pulled at the corner of your mouth, watching how something so trivial as dressing up in costumes and carrying around pillowcases filled with candy filled them with undiluted happiness. 

The jingling of keys hitting your door pulled you away from your inner monologue for a moment, but you continued to watch the family, the children now playing tag around the legs of their parents. 

"Who's ready to partayyyyyy?!" Kaydel yelled out, her sing-song voice pulling the smallest of chuckles from your chest. Her arms were filled with shopping bags, feathers of multiple colors and some sort of pleather sleeve spilling over the edge. 

"I had no idea what you wanted to dress up as tonight so I bought plenty of options." she said, throwing the bags on the couch, pulling out a multitude of fabrics, laying them out meticulously on the kitchen table. 

"I don't understand why we can't just go to some hole-in-the-wall in comfy clothes and get shitfaced...or even stay home and binge watch some trash TV..." you mumbled, looking at the dregs of your tea that had collected in the bottom of your mug, as if they could give you an answer. 

Kay rolled her eyes and scoffed, holding up what could only be described as a showgirl's outfit, complete with multiple plumes of feathers sticking out in every direction, eyeing it precariously. 

"You know why...Consider this your send-off! I'm not going to see you for a whole fucking year, so obviously, we're going all out! Multiple clubs on Halloween? It's like a fucking dream!" she squealed, holding up a pleather catsuit. 

Guilt settled like a boulder in your stomach, threatening to weigh you down for the remainder of the evening. It wasn't an easy decision to sign up for a year long contract with Doctors Without Boarders, especially considering your abrupt departure from the only place you've ever known. You hadn't even brought it up to Vic, afraid that he would find someway to keep you in the city. After everything that had transpired with Kylo, which snowballed into Pryde calling for your immediate resignation, you needed to get away. 

You need to tell her the truth, you thought, and you need to tell Vic.

Kaydel spoke your name softly, pulling you away from your inner turmoil, concern laced in her delicate features. 

"Come on, which one are you wearing tonight?" you asked, smirking and standing beside her, draping your arm over her shoulders. Kay smiled, picking up a blue '70's Go-Go dancer outfit. 

"I bought an extra one, in case you wanted to match." she said, pointing to the pink version laying beside the catsuit. You smiled. 

"Of course, I want to match!" you said, hugging her to your side. You felt her arms wrap around you, squeezing you tightly. Your eyes misted with tears, knowing how much you'd miss her when you left. 

"You know I won't be gone forever, right?" you whispered, attempting to keep your voice level, despite the emotion welling up in your throat. 

Kaydel sniffled, wiping away a tear that had escaped as she pulled away, her bottom lip trembling despite her best efforts. 

"I know, but I'm going to miss you so much..." she whispered. Kay wrapped her arms around you once again, squeezing you as tightly as she possibly could, almost as if you would disappear right before her eyes if she didn't hold you as close as possible.