Chapter 36: And Then I Lost

Flashback Continued

Flashback Continued . . .

"Orders are in. You're to leave now."

I jerked awake to the thunderous voice and jumped out of bed in defense only to be faced by one of my father's men.

          "What are you doing?" The lights made my eyes squint as I looked at the clock. "It's four in the fucking morning. I'm not supposed to train yet."

          "I think you do require some training since you're just standing there like a fool," he snarled, tossing my pillow aside to reveal the knife I kept there. "Without your weapon. You'd be dead if I were the enemy. Just get ready for now."

I glared at the man who had the balls to talk to me like that. Fucking Jacopo. He had been a loyal soldier to the Bonferroni clan for ages. He was one of the very few people apart from the family who could give me shit like that and not face consequences.

          When the power would be handed down to me, I'd rip the very few hairs Jacopo had left along with his stupid fucking mustache and feed it to him in a sandwich made up from the meat of his gut. This stronzo would die!

         "Where am I going?" I barked out the words after I slid on the pants and grabbed a dress shirt from the chair in my room I had tossed it on earlier. "Where's Luciano?"

"He already left." Jacopo threw a suit jacket at my face. Bastardo! I was definitely going to make him pay one day. "We're going to London. Your father has summoned you both there."

I stopped in my tracks and stared at him. My anger was quickly replaced with worry, but I knew better than to let it show. "Is it Mamma?"

After being kicked out of our parents' room, Luci and I had been kept away and sent to our rooms. I couldn't rest after what I saw. Her blood everywhere. Sickness all around her. She wasn't herself. And it kept replaying in my head over and over.

          It was haunting. I'd never admit it to anyone how much it had scared me. Luci knew and he felt the same, but we couldn't show any sign of fear, so I kept it in.

          Father has flown her out to London to a better facility and doctors who could help her. We were left behind. After several hours of just worrying about Mamma and waiting to be updated about her condition, I had eventually fallen asleep, and now I was woken up by this old asshole, not even two hours later.

          "Is she all right?" I pried.

          "I don't know, but we must leave now. I don't want to anger Federigo right now." He opened the door for me to follow him out. "Especially now."

***

          My heart had been beating too fast the entire time. Even as I was taken to the private airport, got on the jet, and now as I was being driven to the hospital in the heart of London. To Mamma. The three hours of flight time was a blur.