Chapter 12: Survivor

Vote, comment, and share this story with your friends. ENJOY! ❤️

Point out any errors ❤️

——————————————————

(Arie's POV)

          "Get me the first aid kit, Lee," Athena ordered the man in the small control room of the charter boat that soared through the sea.

          Lee walked out with the kit and handed it to Athena a bit solemnly.

          Athena exhaled a bit harshly, trying to keep her frustration under control. "I know Hector was your friend, but he was a liability, sweetheart." Athena stroked Lee's clean-shaven cheek. He seemed young, maybe the same age as me, but his height made him tower over Athena like a lamppost. "You made sure we couldn't be followed, right?"

          "Of course." Lee let a tiny smile tug on the corners of his mouth. "I tampered with their boats so they won't be able to follow us anytime soon."

          "Good boy."

          Athena patted his face then walked over to Lawrence's unconscious body. She pulled out a gauze wrap from the kit and began bandaging up the open area where his elbow used to be. She didn't want him dead just yet and neither did I. Any amount of information from him could lead us to the ones responsible. Besides, I couldn't let his death be easy. For all the girls he had sold to monsters as slaves, he'd pay slowly and brutally. I'd make sure of it.

          After she was done with him, she dragged his body to the control room and laid him inside the tiny area. She then checked the bandage on my neck and changed it. I knew I had probably torn a stitch or two open during the whole fiasco.

          "You need to get checked out when we get on land," she muttered.

          "Do you need to get checked too?" I asked.

          "I wasn't injured by them."

          "I'm talking about the stab wounds from th—"

"I can handle myself, Arie. Worry about yourself, not me."

I rolled my eyes at her once she was done. "Why are you always like that? So cold?"

Athena scoffed, discarding the old dressing into a plastic bag. "Because I prefer the cold. Once you're warm, people expect that warmth all the time. Everyone knows I'm a bitch, but I'm a bitch who gets things done one way or another. I have a reputation to uphold and I shall hold it up with pride. I don't kiss ass and I will never."

She turned around, dismissing me as if I was insignificant. I was too exhausted and in pain to continue this or argue. She wasn't wrong though. Although her ways were sometimes brutal, she got things done, and I could never imagine her kissing someone's ass. That was beneath her.

          Robyn cuddled up into my embrace and whimpered as I ran my fingers up and down her unruly brown locks. My eyes were glued to Athena who had her back to me. The flaps of her jacket were dangling to her sides, her head looking down. I could tell she was tending to her own wounds that I assumed were from when she came to save me back in California. She threw aside cotton balls of blood. Like a lone wolf, she did everything herself. I would've offered my assistance, but I knew she'd refuse. She was too proud like the rest of the Bonferroni family.

She threw all the bloody balls and rags into the plastic bag and pitched it aside. Her body was rigid even with her back to me. Her head was turned upward, probably staring at the full moon as the cold air whooshed through her hair violently. I could see the slight tremble of her hands before she formed them into tight fists. I wasn't sure if it was the cold that caused it or if it was the thought of what she had done. Beheading someone wasn't an everyday thing, not even for a woman like her who was always proper and poised.