☓☓ chapter eighteen ☓☓

[Picture of a quote I found on Google at the side. *I do not own the picture*]

☓☓ chapter eighteen ☓☓

The rest of the ride was silent, with both our minds consumed by our own thoughts. However, the quietness was something I was quite thankful for though.

I don't really think I'm ready to receive the news yet.

What am I saying?

I don't think I would ever be ready to accept such news. No one would be.

In fact, no one deserves to be receiving such gravely news.

When the car came to a halt, I opened the door for her and we headed into her house.

It looked exactly the same as it was when I first came over the other time.

Beige colored walls, wooden floor and very color oriented furniture.

It looks really homey and inviting.

"So, to my room?" She suggested, pointing at the stairs.

"Your room? Sure thing." I smirked, wriggling my eyebrows at the same time.

"I'm not talking about that, you pervert." She laughed lightly, bumping into my shoulder playfully.

"Whatever you say, cupcake." I winked, before climbing up the stairs with her.

Her room looked exactly the same as before, minus the balloons.

I wonder if she has already played with the helium from the balloons.

If you want to know the answer just ask her, idiot. Right.

"Have you played with the helium from the balloons yet?" I inquired, after making myself comfortable on her bed.

Ah, it's so soft.

"Nope. It's stored in my closet. Maybe we can all play with it together tomorrow, before they deflate?" She suggested, earning an excited nod from me.

After we settled down, she sat crisscrossed across me. Hey that rhymes!

"So where do I start from?" She asked quietly, looking down and fidgeting with her fingers nervously.

I, on the other hand, looked calm on the outside, but was internally bubbling with nerves.

I'm not even the one breaking the news, yet I'm so jittery.

I must be losing my mind.

"Maybe from where you're comfortable with starting from, or simply the beginning?"

She pondered for a minute before sighing lightly.

"Alright. I'll start from last year then. In around March, I suddenly had a really high fever, and started vomiting and having frequent diarrhea. It got so bad that I actually fainted after visiting the washroom in the middle of the night. Mum and dad was so scared that they sent me to the hospital immediately. When I woke up, I was in a ward, with different tubes running through my body. My parents walked in with the doctor shortly after I was awake, and their eyes were visibly bloodshot, whereas the doctor was offering me a sympathetic smile. At that moment, my instincts already told me that something was wrong with me."

She stopped to catch her breath, and I took this moment to take her hand in mine, squeezing it as a form of encouragement to continue.

"- and I was right. He told me that they've ran a few tests on my body when I was unconscious, and found more white blood cells than red ones in my system. In other words, he was trying to convey the message to me that I have leukemia. He then further explained my case to my parents and I, but I was barely paying attention. I... I was so scared, Asher. I didn't know how to react, let alone know what to do. So, I broke down. I was shaking so badly that my parents had to do all the talking and questioning for me. The doctor then informed us that since my cancer was still in its early stage, I could rely on medication first. So I did. In fact, I've been on medication all these while, even after moving here."