☓☓ chapter twenty-three ☓☓

[A picture I found on Google at the side. *I do not own the picture*]

☓☓ chapter twenty-three ☓☓

Have you ever heard of the quote 'For every good thing that happens, five bad things happen'?

Well, that quote is unfortunately extremely true.

The sound of Mrs Dawson's sobs and Mr Dawson's soothing words could be distinctly heard as it echoed down the eerily empty corridor.

As I sat alone on the cold and hard hospital ground, I can't help but let my mind wonder everywhere, as I clutched the letter tightly in my grip.

Instances from the first time we met in gym class, the first accidental kiss that we shared to the last time we kissed, which so happened to be yesterday, flashed through my mind.

Everything felt so fresh and raw, and that only made me feel ten million times more pain.

Should I open it?

Call me a coward, but I was really scared of what was written inside.

What if she was even more sick than she claimed herself to be?

What if there's already no cure? What if -

No. That's impossible.

She couldn't have lied to me, could she?

"Sky has given this to me a few days ago. She said to pass this to you if something... Something like that happened."

Mrs Dawson's voice replayed in my mind, causing my eyesight to blur.

Why do humans even tear?

Oh right. It is a way for us to show our emotions, and to remind us that we are capable of feeling.

But most importantly, it is also an outlet for us pour out our pent up emotions, feelings, and frustrations.

I wiped a few stubborn tears away furiously with the back of my hands and tried to keep my emotions at bay by muttering incoherent calming words under my breath.

Just open the damn letter now, you chicken. Don't call yourself a guy if you can't even complete such a simple act, you pussy.

Goddammit. Stop scolding yourself you dumbshit.

There, I did it again.

Letting out a breath of air I didn't realize I was holding in, I tore the envelope open with shaky hands.

Dear Asher,

☓☓ four hours ago ☓☓

My eyes drawn down to her tantalizing lips involuntarily and the space between us started closing in.

Her slender fingers slid up my neck and slowly caressed my cheeks.

Damn. I can totally get used to this feeling.

I tilted my head a little and -

Smack!

Sky's smooth fingers turned into rougher ones, and they couldn't stop slapping my face.

What the fuck?

I jolted up from my resting position, screaming bloody murder in the process.

"There's no murderer. Just me, Amery. Now listen, your phone has been ringing incessantly the last ten minutes and I got really annoyed because it was interrupting my beauty sleep and it was Sky."