XX

(not proofread)
[ chapter 20 ]

april 4
4:00 p.m
boca raton, florida

- - - - -

"Soo, what happened yesterday?" I asked as Billie and Zayn left to get us all Subway.

Ariana immediately froze up, eyes widening a little and pupils dilating. All of her body language was negative, and if I wasn't concerned then, I definitely was now.

"Moonlight, what's wrong?" I pressed on, placing my hand on top of hers. She was still frozen, but as my hand touched hers, her body slouched.

"U-um, n-nothing I'm good. It was just about m-my dad having to leave for work again." I could tell as clear as day that she was lying. She blew out a breath of air and adjusted herself on her seat, uncomfortable.

"Ari.." I warned, giving her a look that showed I wasn't believing it. I wanted to show her I wasn't gonna take bullshit.

However, she was quick to shoot me a look right back. "Y/n, I don't wanna talk about it right now. I'll let you know later. Okay?" Unsatisfied with her answer but wanting to show my understanding, I simply nodded and sighed.

what the fuck is going on?

~~ the next day ~~

"Y/n Y/l/n, you're up." I took a deep breath, nodding as I stood up from my chair with shaky legs and an achy rumbling in my stomach.

"What's the song called?" Mrs. Miller asked - as she did with everyone else - as I sat down and grabbed a guitar from the side. I chuckled lightly and mumbled.

"Fingers. Oh! And am I allowed to cuss?"

My music teacher gave me a look of curiosity, but nodded and stepped away; gesturing for me to start whenever.

I took one last deep breath and began strumming what I came up with just last night. This song didn't really belong on only electric guitar, but I made it work.

fucked and i want ya
looked and i loved ya
stuck, now i need ya
hopin' i'd see ya

touch, wanna feel her
much can't conceal her, no

hidin' all your features
slidin' on the filters
should be you that's in the middle
don't be hidin' what you thinking

I looked up and connected eyes with Ariana, who was staring down at me with a small smile and curious eyes.

i been fucked and i want ya
i can't even text ya
'cause my fingers ain't workin'
but my heart is

if you wanna let me know where you are, then

i can come and love (i can come and love)
i can come and love (i can come and love ya)
i can come and love ya (i can come and love)
i can come and love ya (i can come and love ya)

I smiled lightly as I sung the next lines, still staring right into the Italian's eyes.

what did i tell ya ?
typo said i loved ya
didn't mean what i was sayin'
no i wasn't playin', just confused